MBP Total Recall (second attempt)

mybud

I built a successful first version of this awhile back (24V positive ground and other complications) but managed to bork it through unnecessary fiddling with the voltage regulator at the last minute before boxing it. The tale of woe lurks somewhere on this forum. Undaunted by my own stupidity, I ordered a second board and started afresh. My biggest concern was that I'd somehow blown up the BBDs and was in for many zorkmids to replace these.

recall_test.jpg

Following Brian's instructions I tested it thoroughly before boxing, setting all the trimmers to 50k before attempting the requisite fiddling and tweaking. Wonder of wonders, it worked at first ignition, so no need to splurge on more BBDs and ensuing general relief in my household.

recall_innards.jpg

Taking no chances, I ordered a super-deep 1590C since BB2s are not readily available here. Overkill, since one can probably fit a soccer team in the huge amount of space available but no last minute disappointment in the fitment, when one electrolytic refuses to fit and the whole housing aspect has to be rethought amid tears and lamentations.

recall_exterior.jpg

The boxed version... still thinking of some silly esoteric name for my own amusement. 'Turtle Recoil'?

Sounds amazing to me in any case. Plenty of echo with extravagant modulation. Quite unique-sounding, perhaps, and hugely relieved that the second attempt succeeded. A tricky and compex build overall, but oil's well that ends well as they say. Thanks for reading as ever.

NGBS.

I built a successful first version of this awhile back (24V positive ground and other complications) but managed to bork it through unnecessary fiddling with the voltage regulator at the last minute before boxing it. The tale of woe lurks somewhere on this forum. Undaunted by my own stupidity, I ordered a second board and started afresh. My biggest concern was that I'd somehow blown up the BBDs and was in for many zorkmids to replace these.

View attachment 55975

Following Brian's instructions I tested it thoroughly before boxing, setting all the trimmers to 50k before attempting the requisite fiddling and tweaking. Wonder of wonders, it worked at first ignition, so no need to splurge on more BBDs and ensuing general relief in my household.

View attachment 55974

Taking no chances, I ordered a super-deep 1590C since BB2s are not readily available here. Overkill, since one can probably fit a soccer team in the huge amount of space available but no last minute disappointment in the fitment, when one electrolytic refuses to fit and the whole housing aspect has to be rethought amid tears and lamentations.

View attachment 55973

The boxed version... still thinking of some silly esoteric name for my own amusement. 'Turtle Recoil'?

Sounds amazing to me in any case. Plenty of echo with extravagant modulation. Quite unique-sounding, perhaps, and hugely relieved that the second attempt succeeded. A tricky and compex build overall, but oil's well that ends well as they say. Thanks for reading as ever.

NGBS.
You wouldn't be the first one that took two attempts to get one of these working........:whistle:

Back