Mofeta

DailyDovetails

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I only played this one an hour or so but I can say it delivered more than I expected. It got heavy and distorted but could also cleaned up surprisingly well. It sounded really nice with my jazz box style guitar with P-90s. I will definitely be experimenting with this one a bit more. I found the brite and normal inputs to be a little confusing. It seemed like if I adjusted normal then added bright it worked ok but it took a bit after powering it on to get it figured out.

Not totally happy with the shielding thing yet. Also it looked much cooler inside when it was all black.

1707095082008.jpeg

1707095222526.jpeg

Not totally happy with the shielding thing yet. Also it looked much cooler inside when it was all black.
I might actually be wrong on this but I THINK as long as your potentiometers, jacks, switches etc are making metal-on-metal contact with the aluminum, like just scrape the paint around the drilled holes, you should be good to keep all that shielding tape off

I might actually be wrong on this but I THINK as long as your potentiometers, jacks, switches etc are making metal-on-metal contact with the aluminum, like just scrape the paint around the drilled holes, you should be good to keep all that shielding tape off
For what it’s worth I’m not sure either. I have heard about connecting the grounds in that manner like how say a guitars pots or the backs of a pickup are. Also I have heard about surrounding the electronics to block say RF and EMF like the aluminum enclosures or the foil layer on a shielded cable. I’m experimenting with the idea a bit. I don’t have much of a noise issue with my builds at the volumes I play with the exception of maybe if I step on a rat or BMP which I hear other people building in aluminum enclosures also complain about.

It’s dawning on me after rereading your post you might not realize my enclosure is 3d printed. I guess that means I did a decent job at it lol.

just quietly, as far as grounding goes, your circuit only needs x1 connection to 'ground' - in your case - the shielding is ground here.

usually the input jack sleeve is the ideal grounding point.

Back