Mojito Deluxe Overdrive (Boneyard Edition)

MattG

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Here's one that's not a direct clone, but unique to PedalPCB, thanks to @Chuck D. Bones: the Mojito Deluxe Overdrive. I see this pedal getting mentioned pretty regularly when people ask for drive suggestions, and lots of positive commentary in general. Add me to the list of endorsers! I can't wait to try this in band practice, but playing with it at home last night, I'm really liking it. Some of what I read suggested it might be mid-heavy or mid-forward, but I'm not hearing that; maybe a bit of mid-bump, but not pronounced; and the bass and treble controls feel well-tuned to dial in a good sound. At least to my ears/rig anyway! Furthermore, it sounds great through the whole sweep of the drive/boost controls. I feel I've really only scratched the surface, as all settings I've tried so far sound good, so I don't feel compelled to keep tweaking or tuning it. Whenever I turn the knobs, it's driven by curiosity, not by any deficiency or need to fix anything, just, "I wonder what this sounds like... oh that's awesome too!"

As you'll see in the pics, I soldered the boost to be permanently engaged. I did this for a few reasons:
  • I have a million low-gain/edge-of-breakup drives, so with this build, I was fine with it being permanently boosted. Although, even with the boost engaged, you can still dial in a great low-gain sound. In this thread, @Chuck D. Bones asks "A show of hands... Who has a Mojito and regularly steps on the BOOST switch?" Second-guessing that question, I'm thinking maybe Chuck considers the boost somewhat superfluous?
  • Practically speaking, I don't like two footswitches right next to each other in a vertical (portrait mode) 125A. It's just too close for comfort!
  • My microcontroller relay bypass board is too big for two switches. ;) A surface-mount version is in the works, so eventually I'll be able to shrink this enough for two switches in a small space.

Anyway, I build exactly per specs, except for those BA482 diodes; I used BA282. Referencing Solved - Mojito Diode question and Mojito Deluxe Boneyard (#metoo) - Update, I used my CCT to measure Vf of a 2N5457-as-a-diode (with source and drain tied), and compared to the Vf of the BA282 diodes I had on hand. They were basically the same, so I went with the BA282 diodes.

I used a different 1n400x than the silkscreen called for, but I believe the 1n400x series, at least when used as clipping diodes in low-current applications like overdrives, are interchangeable.

CA3130EZ came from Amazon... It works, so I'm assuming it's legit!

The enclosure is "Satin China Mint" from StompBoxParts. Since it has mint in the color name, it seemed appropriate to house the Mojito. Although my wife thinks it's too light to be called mint. I think it looks great. Although my drilling was a bit imprecise.

It fired up just fine on the first try.

Anyway, it's a great drive, and like I said, I can't wait for it to get some live playing time with the band.

Attachments

• IMG_8476.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_8476.HEIC.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8475.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_8475.HEIC.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8472.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_8472.HEIC.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8473.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_8473.HEIC.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8474.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_8474.HEIC.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 37
Nice. I recently boxed my Mojito. It hasn’t left the board yet.. I like to leave the boost on and treat it like the Honey Beest.

I use mine with a dual relay board (through hole) but if I built it again I’d do the same as you and just keep the boost permanently engaged.

Back