Moog MF Drive

Zombie11

Would you be interested in doing an Moog MF Drive PCB? It's a highly regarded drive with an interesting ladder filter and not in production anymore. It uses SMC components but I would kill for a through hole version (it does not seem overly complicated) I have a unit I can send you for free if you're interested

I have the Moogerfooger Flanger and it is a thing of beauty. So sad they discontinued that line. Everything on it is amazing.

Reactions: fig
I am always interested in new overdrives and this a pretty cool one. I am curious to try a ladder filter, I have heard it is finicky to make.

Would you be interested in doing an Moog MF Drive PCB? It's a highly regarded drive with an interesting ladder filter and not in production anymore. It uses SMC components but I would kill for a through hole version (it does not seem overly complicated) I have a unit I can send you for free if you're interested

I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat. I used to own the MF Drive a few years ago, but sold it out of necessity. And now they're like $300 since Moog stopped production. I've looked around for a schematic online before to no avail. If this doesn't end up becoming a PedalPCB thing, could you post pics of the PCB and/or a schematic? If that's not too much of a pain in the ass, of course (I don't know if Moog provided a schematic for any of their pedals). It's an astoundingly good drive/LPF pedal that sounds totally unique, and it's definitely the piece of gear I most regret flipping. Thanks for the generosity in sharing it with PedalPCB!

I am always interested in new overdrives and this a pretty cool one. I am curious to try a ladder filter, I have heard it is finicky to make.

I saw a teardown video on the Moog Grandmother awhile back, and it revealed that Moog uses pre-matched transistor packages for the ladder filter in that synth. So I'm guess that's also the case for their other modern products. I have no idea where you would acquire those, though.

Last edited:
I love that line. I own a chorus and delay. They do color the tone (they are dark) but they have a lot of character. The drive seemed really cool, especially with the expression controlling the drive. So I’d definitely get one of those boards!

Just noticed there's only one used MF Drive on Reverb and it's listed for over $500.
Demos sound like a SS Gorilla practice amp I had in the 90s. I was expecting something smooth, but it's definitely got that trashy punk vibe - at least to my ears.

Just noticed there's only one used MF Drive on Reverb and it's listed for over $500.
Demos sound like a SS Gorilla practice amp I had in the 90s. I was expecting something smooth, but it's definitely got that trashy punk vibe - at least to my ears.

I had one of those little Gorilla practice amps in the 90's, too. My cousin gave it to me because he got a second one when his dad bought him a new guitar. I'd completely forgotten it, but you've just opened the memory floodgates.

There must be a billion of those things out there, I feel like they were the standard issue in package deals when mom and pop music stores still existed. The one I had looked like it had been run over by a truck but it still worked.

Back