Moonn Good Vibes

Mentaltossflycoon

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This one's pretty fun for the parts count. As suggested, I rolled a bunch of my own vactrols and probably spent way more time fiddling with this than necessary but I'm pretty happy with the result. I definitely suggest adding one to your order if you're shopping over there. It's far from the beauty of bbd pitch vibrato, more of a vintage warble. I do wish there was more range in the speed but there a nice useful range. I stacked this with my viib while comparing the two and it's an interesting flavor of seasickness that may see some use in the future.

Screenshot_20231004_233007_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20231004_233018_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Did you find a specific LDR and LED that works best? I have one of these that's supposed to be on its way (except the Moonn guy just vanished after I put my order in one month ago)

They definitely can take forever to get delivered unfortunately.

I think i landed on a yellow diffused and I'm forgetting which ldr went in that one but I think it's a GL5528. I built it up months ago and only recently boxed it.

Last edited:
I went with the yellow diffused as well, but am not getting much in the way of depth unless that pot is all the way cw. Has that also been your experience? Saw a post on the effectslayouts board for the Magnavibe on which the Good Vibes is based, and they suggested Ireplacing the 100nf cap with 220nf. Although I didn't see any noticeable difference. Perhaps this is just a very subtle effect?

I built one as well, and it is a bit subtle until you get past noon on both controls, but it really picks up from there. Your description is spot on, @Mentaltossflycoon. Instead of the combo you used, I used a VTL5C vactrol I had leftover from a Mutron 3 clone build (Fuzzdog) and it sounds great (see pics below).

I recommend Moonn whole heartedly. Nils has plenty of cool boards and he's a nice guy nice to boot!

IMG_9339.jpg

IMG_9340.jpg

Last edited:
I built one as well, and it is a bit subtle until you get past noon on both controls, but it really picks up from there. Your description is spot on, @Mentaltossflycoon. Instead of the combo you used, I used a VTL5C vactrol I had leftover from a Mutron 3 clone build (Fuzzdog) and it sounds great (see pics below).

I recommend Moonn whole heartedly. Nils had plenty of cool boards and he's a guy nice to boot!

View attachment 58941

View attachment 58942
Yea, I thought about going the Vactrol route instead of rolling my own. Maybe I'll grab a few on my next order, although $6.50 seems kinda steep.

Definitely agree on Nils's boards. Really nice guy and the 5 or 6 of his I've put together have been a lot of fun, as well as a learning experience. Right now finishing his "Intensified Birdfluff"-Plums/TS type that he sent as a bonus (like I said, super cool). Not all sites provide the same level of instructions as PedalPCB (imo the gold standard). But the descriptions, odd/unusual circuits and quirky layouts from Moonn make it one of my favorite sites.

Yea, I thought about going the Vactrol route instead of rolling my own. Maybe I'll grab a few on my next order, although $6.50 seems kinda steep.

Definitely agree on Nils's boards. Really nice guy and the 5 or 6 of his I've put together have been a lot of fun, as well as a learning experience. Right now finishing his "Intensified Birdfluff"-Plums/TS type that he sent as a bonus (like I said, super cool). Not all sites provide the same level of instructions as PedalPCB (imo the gold standard). But the descriptions, odd/unusual circuits and quirky layouts from Moonn make it one of my favorite sites.
Agreed on all fronts here; but regarding the vactrol, I honestly would have probably gone that route anyway even if didn't have one laying around. Don't get me wrong, I always want my builds to be as economical as possible; but I spent $7 this last week on Pepsi, so if I really want the vactrol I'll find a way to justify it financially somehow. But that's just how my brain works I guess 🤷‍♂️

Agreed on all fronts here; but regarding the vactrol, I honestly would have probably gone that route anyway even if didn't have one laying around. Don't get me wrong, I always want my builds to be as economical as possible; but I spent $7 this last week on Pepsi, so if I really want the vactrol I'll find a way to justify it financially somehow. But that's just how my brain works I guess 🤷‍♂️
Ended up getting a few VTL5C1 vactrols along with a recent Amplified Parts order. Swapped one in, but no discernible change in the depth/intensity of the vibrato. Although the indicator status LED was much dimmer... I'm guessing that's down to using a diffused yellow LED for status versus whatever was inside the vactrol. Pulled it out and nearly ripped out two of the solder pads, but luckily was able to get the previous homebrew LED/LDR combo back in and returned to original functionality. Can never seem to leave "well enough" alone.

Back