Moonn Muff Mess & Lo Fran

Fuzzonaut

Two things from Moonn.

The MUFF MESS has two LM386 opamps (replacing Q1, Q2 and Q4) and a transistor (Q3), doing the muff thing with a pair of GE diodes.
It has its own flavour and sounds pretty good, also on bass.
It was a bit noisy on higher Sustain and bright Tone settings, especially in Havoc mode, so I tried different LM386 (N1, N3), but that didn't change anything.
Then I started trying other transistors (BOM calls for a 2N5088), going down in hFe. 2N3904 was a bit better, 2N2222A (metal can) was really good and then I tried an AC127 ... and left it.
Tried a "plain look" on a colored enclosure for a change ... not too thrilled with the result, at least in "bright light conditions", but it's fine.

muff-mess.jpeg muffmess-g.jpeg

And another LO-FRAN (Frantone Lo Tone). I already built one of those and love it. There is so much bass on tab, it's ridicolous. I'm not sure, if I actually ordered this PCB again or if Nils just sent it as a freebie. Doesn't matter though. As for the GE diodes, I used some of the funky Mullard ones (CV 7049) I have lying around, just because.
Graphics are an taken from a Swans concert poster (part of it).

lo-tone.jpeg lotne-g.jpeg

I really like the Moonn stuff from what I see on the site. But not having drill templates is discouraging. Are you measuring everything out for drilling or are you using templates?

do you go center pin to center pin then offset or have some other trickery?
I’ve never laid out an enclosure manually from measuring a board either. Sounds like a pain! Now that I’m thinking about it I guess I could figure out how to do it, but it seems like the chances I would make an error and Bork an enclosure would go up.

do you go center pin to center pin then offset or have some other trickery?
No trickery involved.
I measure the distance between the pots/switches. Point of reference can be whatever, pin 1 or center pin for example.
Then I put those numbers into the "coordinate system" of the template size of the enclosure (125B, BB, JJ).

Take the Muff Mess for an example, (it's 125B, so 62x118mm): measuring takes like 20 seconds.
x axis: distance between sustain/havoc and volume/tone is 33mm
y axis: distance between sustain/volume and havoc/tone is 33mm
Which leads to this, circled numbers are coordinates:
IMG_0329.jpeg

Edit: I'll add that I have templates with "drill points" ready for all enclosure sizes in Photoshop, so I can just place those drilling points into the right spots for the project at hand and am ready to go. The Muff Mess was made within 3 minutes I'd say.

Last edited:
Back