Moonn Space is Fun & Dromtydning (DBA clones)

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Seems like a few people hit this Moonn combo of the DBA Reverberation Machine and Echo Dreams 2. I finished up both yesterday after having them half done for a while. I went with the feedback mods on both.

Space is Fun is pretty neat. Nice belton brick verb with dark/bright options (which I labeled the wrong way around on my design). Not so keen on the gain/fuzz on this one, so I keep it pretty low just to help get to unity volume. I've been going back and forth on whether this will replace my Spirit Box. I do like the oscillate ability, but it's definitely muddier than the Spirit Box. I tried to wire a second LED for the feedback mod with one of those momentary X wing DPDTs but couldn't get the wiring right, even after looking at a few diagrams. The variations I tried to make it work ended up making the feedback knob not work at all, so I put an SPST in there for the moment. It was late so I gave in a bit early but next time I get the iron out I'll give it a proper look. I might have bought the wrong switch. Anyway, just another incentive to upskill and understand what is actually going on in these circuits.

reverbfront.jpg
reverbguts.jpg

The Dromtydning is a clone of the Echo Dreams 2 and realllllly pushes the PT2399. At first I thought the fizzes and spits were maybe because of the cheap AliExpress chips I'd used for the MC33172P and XR2206P, but after some reading it's just how this one seems to be. I know others have commented that the "fuzz" on this one is pretty weak, but I must have an issue somewhere cause mine's not doing anything to the signal. That's kind of OK with me because I wasn't too keen on using the fuzz, but unfortunately it does mean that even with the volume cranked, it's just slightly below unity gain. Again, another little thing to look at on the to-do list. Otherwise though it's a whacky sounding delay. The square wave modulation in particular does some weird stuff. I have another unconventional PT2399 delay on the burner, so we'll see which one ends up getting more use.

echofront.jpg
echoguts.jpg

I know people have had their issues with Moonn in the past with delayed orders and non-responsiveness but seems like he might be back on track given recent instagram posts. I was pretty happy with these two. Definitely not clean or polished sounding circuits but I like them. He threw in a little tremolo freebie that looks pretty cool too.

Back