Muscovite Muff…

Coda

A preface: I never liked prefaces. If it’s so important, why not just put it in the book. Anywho, I built a modded Muff. I built a Triangle Muff last year, and wanted to build another of the Muff variants. Unfortunately, I could not make up my mind as to which variant to make. I (thought) I had settled on the Civil War Muff…until a friend brought over his Green Russian circuit. Once again I was torn.

Then, late one dark and stormy night, I experienced a eureka moment, not unlike the moment when chocolate and peanut butter was first combined, I imagine. While perusing the build docs, ruminating over which circuit to build-Green Russian or Civil War, I realized that, save 4 components, the two circuits were the same. Could I possibly build both?…

I reached out to the resident forum genius for help. When he didn’t respond to my messages, I messaged @fig instead. With his advisement, I used a 4pdt on/on toggle to switch between the resistor and three capacitors that separated the Green Russian and the Civil War Muff.
Behold!…the Muscavite Muff!

There isn’t too much of a difference between the two circuits, to the ear.The Green Russian is more round and raspy, while the Civil War circuit is smoother, with less depth, though more body. I think that using two very different Muff circuits would be a little more efficient…provided the differences are within a reasonable amount.

I was surprised that it worked the first time…though I always am. The only issue is that the LED didn’t work. I replaced it, but still nothing. Not a big deal, though it is more and more annoying as time goes on…

Attachments

• 579D7D8F-0F01-4121-BA96-68B4BDCE6AD3.jpeg
    579D7D8F-0F01-4121-BA96-68B4BDCE6AD3.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 81D7C56E-B5C3-45B1-808B-8E26FA25EE81.jpeg
    81D7C56E-B5C3-45B1-808B-8E26FA25EE81.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I was surprised that it worked the first time…though I always am. The only issue is that the LED didn’t work. I replaced it, but still nothing. Not a big deal, though it is more and more annoying as time goes on…

This happened to me as well. I think there may be an issue with the Muffin board.

Great name!
Wish I'd thought of that.
Love those octagonal Hammonds and I'm a huge fan of 4PDT switchery to get two "different" circuits in one build.

I prefer having the LED on the footswitch's daughterboard, in general.

GuitarPCB's Muff comparison chart is easier to find those differences, but caveat emptor, not everything in that document is in agreement with other sources of Muff-information. Not that it matters since EHX's own Muffs were full of discrepancies.

FOR EXAMPLE ...
GPCB lists 560p for the Civilian where PPCB lists the same cap as 430p, yet both GPCB and PPCB have the Green Russian pegged at 470p, while TH Custom has its MiniMuff "Green Russian" listed as 430p, the same as the other suppliers' Civilian...

I make my own tables to compare circuits, be it Muff, Rat variants, different DIY suppliers' PCBs...

Circuit 1Circuit 2etcMY BUILD & notes
R1
R2
R3
etc
BLANK SEPARATOR
C1
C2
C3
etc

Last edited:
I’m having a blast with the Ram’s Head muff I just built. I followed the Kit Rae schematics.

Great name!
Wish I'd thought of that.
Love those octagonal Hammonds and I'm a huge fan of 4PDT switchery to get two "different" circuits in one build.

I prefer having the LED on the footswitch's daughterboard, in general.

GuitarPCB's Muff comparison chart is easier to find those differences, but caveat emptor, not everything in that document is in agreement with other sources of Muff-information. Not that it matters since EHX's own Muffs were full of discrepancies.

FOR EXAMPLE ...
GPCB lists 560p for the Civilian where PPCB lists the same cap as 430p, yet both GPCB and PPCB have the Green Russian pegged at 470p, while TH Custom has its MiniMuff "Green Russian" listed as 430p, the same as the other suppliers' Civilian...

I make my own tables to compare circuits, be it Muff, Rat variants, different DIY suppliers' PCBs...

Circuit 1Circuit 2etcMY BUILD & notes
R1
R2
R3
etc
BLANK SEPARATOR
C1
C2
C3
etc
I put my Triangle Muff in an octagonal enclosure as well. It’s my thing: Muffs go in an octagon. As for the accuracy of the circuits; from what I have seen, they are all right. There probably were some Green Russian Muffs that had 470p or 430p caps. Same with the rest. Muff circuits are all ‘ballpark’…

Back