SOLVED muzzle (classic with retrofit) almost no signal, ground buzz, and not gating

maertz13

ground loop stops when i hold both cables for the key/thru. is there supposed to be a ground between them? because it isn't shown on the wiring guide. very little signal is getting through. LED stays blue no matter what.

guitar into key > key out to dist pedal in > dist pedal out to gate input > gate output to amp

I haven't gotten beaten up by a build this hard in a long time. hoping someone spots my error. i would be zero percent surprised if i got the switching jacks wrong. i put a little heat shrink on the rest of the terminals of the switching jacks to avoid any potential shorting.

IMG_5960.jpeg IMG_5957.jpeg IMG_5956.jpeg IMG_5959.jpeg IMG_5955.jpeg IMG_5961.jpeg IMG_5958.jpeg

EDIT: Actually, since your jacks aren't installed in an enclosure they'll need a ground connection. Connect the sleeve to the center pad beside the pad marked "T".

Disconnect the Key jacks from the PCB and install a jumper wire across the two pads where the jack was connected.

See if the gate functions normally as a standard gate with in front of the amp. Guitar > Input, Output > Amp.

Last edited:
EDIT: Actually, since your jacks aren't installed in an enclosure they'll need a ground connection. Connect the sleeve to the center pad beside the pad marked "T".

Disconnect the Key jacks from the PCB and install a jumper wire across the two pads where the jack was connected.

See if the gate functions normally as a standard gate with in front of the amp. Guitar > Input, Output > Amp.
i was wondering what that other pad was for. I'll give it a shot and report back. thanks!

my ground issue is entirely fixed, awesome. my LED is changing when it gets signal, but i'm not getting much output. if i CRANK the volume on the distortion pedal, i get the faintest glimmer of a signal. also odd, i'm certain i tested this LED and know it to be blue and red, but i'm not getting red, more like a purple.

edit: when bypassing the key input, i'm getting a constant buzz until i dime the gate threshold, but it does not react to my guitar signal at all, and does not pass signal

found a tiny shred of wire that was bridging to ground. then i was getting the high pitched squeal some users have mentioned. switched BACK to the 1054 charge pump that i swapped when i thought maybe it was the problem. squeal gone. everything seems to be running normally now

after two days, hours of debugging and despair, this comment was the answer!

my muzzle already worked fine, but at some point failed and made buzzing noise. then i realized what the problem was. the input jacks were coated with isolation paint, which wore off because i reinstalled the jacks several times. grounding the sleeves solved it.
thank you robert!

Back