My CLEANEST build! Pot & Kettle Pro (Snouse Blackbox 2 Stage Pro Mod)

Drayve85

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
So, I gues 4 times the charm!!lol my Snouse BB2 building journey began with an old revision ‘Pot & Kettle’ board I did a month or two ago, which was a nightmare. I had to scrap that board cuz I couldn’t get it working properly. One of the issues was a static-y/crackle-y noise that would happen at random. I was having issues with the trannies not seating in the sockets correctly and the pedal not working intermittently. IIRC, I had a bunch of ‘gremlins’ I had to find just to get it working, to begin with. I scrapped that PCB and made a vero version, which still had that crackle/static issue, so I ended up building ANOTHER vero. STILL had that issue! Luckily, @Ralfg, a user on here, told me he had a similar issue with a build that used Jfets and trimpots. Because the vero layout put a trimpot on each JFET to bias any 2n5457 correctly. He told me to bias them with the trimpots, then take them out and measure them, then put in a resistor that matches what the trims read. That FINALLY worked! I had a new revision board already on order before the issue was resolved, so I built it up and put it in a new enclosure. It came out GREAT!!! This is the CLEANEST looking build that I’ve produced, so far!

The drilling turn out awesome too, in my opinion. I don’t have a new drill template for the new revision, so I had to solder in the switches as straight as I could get them. Then, I have this OLD divider tool thing (idk what it’s technically called!) that my grandfather used back in the 50’s when he was in the Navu working on fighter planes. It worked out great! I just matched it up to the centers of all the switches, then used the template from the old revision, and ‘eyeballed’ it to where it looked good.

Needless to say, I’m happy with it and proud of myself for persevering and getting to the answer to the problems. Not trying to boast, or be anything but humble.

Thank you to everyone on here that have helped me, and from whom I’ve learned a great deal from this expansive ‘resource’ and ‘embarrassment of riches’ of knowledge!

Attachments

• IMG_7087.jpeg
    IMG_7087.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7088.jpeg
    IMG_7088.jpeg
    570.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7091.jpeg
    IMG_7091.jpeg
    688.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7092.jpeg
    IMG_7092.jpeg
    649.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7094.jpeg
    IMG_7094.jpeg
    941.3 KB · Views: 54
Way to stick with it!! Looks great!

Cool tool too! I’ve seen something similar for laying out the placement of rivets for aircraft work. Might be what that was for.

Way to stick with it!! Looks great!

Cool tool too! I’ve seen something similar for laying out the placement of rivets for aircraft work. Might be what that was for.
Thank you! Yep, that’s exactly what it’s for. That’s what my gramps did in the service. I’m just not sure what the name of it is.

Back