My first fuzz! PedalPCB Marigold

MichaelW

I know zilch about fuzz pedals. The last and only time I played through one was when I was 13 years old and my bass players older brother had a Big Muff (the orange and blue one). We were rocking out "Baba O'Riley" until he came down into the basement, chewed us out for touching his stuff and took it away.

Fast forward 45+ years and I still know zilch about fuzz pedals heh. They've never been on my radar or a sound that I've really wanted in my arsenal.

Having said that, in my pedal building crash course over the last couple of months, I've been reading about germanium this, transistor that, Russian Muff ToneBender Pi Face unobtanium this and that's........which if course got my geek going and I went out and started ordering a bunch of random stuff.....:)
I also went eenie-meenie-miney and ordered a couple of fuzzy boards from PedalPCB.com.

I was planning to build the DuoCast first but turns out I'm still missing some of the 35v caps I need for it so I built the Marigold instead today.

I socketed just about everything after reading some of the threads about biasing, HFe, and all that. Well turns out that in all my random Ge transistor buying, the majority of what I got was PNP transistors, the Marigold called for a NPN and I only had one type of those, an MP35, I had 2 and neither were in the recommended 80-ish HFE. The closest one I had was 63, so I went with that. So most of the decisions were made by my lack of an assortment of parts to try.

But, it sounds freaking awesome! It sounds a lot like the videos I've seen of the Sola Sound Yellow Hybrid Tone Bender. Easy build and small enough to fit into a 1590B.

@giovanni, here's a pic of the Switchcraft jacks into a 1590B. I've been slowly dialing in my 1590B builds and almost have it to the point that I can create a template.
But it depends on the length of the PCB in question. What I've been doing is starting with the 125B template for a given pedal and marking it with a sharpie.

Then moving the whole pattern down (away from the top) to give more room for the jacks. In the case of the Marigold, I shifted everything down 4mm. It really could have used an additional 2mm so I'll probably try 6mm next build.

The for the top jacks, I'm drilling 17mm in from the side and 11mm from the bottom of the enclosure (without the backplate). This gives me enough wiggle room to get the jacks in as well as fitting the smaller low profile DC jack. Sorry that I have zero skills at CAD or laying this out, I hope my measurements make sense. But it all works.

IMG_2946.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG IMG_2945.JPG
F0B50414-4400-4541-8F5F-56DF55D7B92D.jpeg

That’s real tight! Impressive! Did you have to bend the contacts on the jack to prevent them from shorting on the enclosure? @flemming was incredibly kind to send me a template for exactly this purpose. I’m gonna test it on an enclosure asap.

That’s real tight! Impressive! Did you have to bend the contacts on the jack to prevent them from shorting on the enclosure? @flemming was incredibly kind to send me a template for exactly this purpose. I’m gonna test it on an enclosure asap.
They weren't touching but I bent them anyway just a tad for good measure. I really should have used shrink tubing on this, but I was eager to hear what this pedal sounded like so I skipped it.

f239e21e7bcd28de8a40b6ac24fc4056.png

Marigold indeed!

I enjoy your build reports, Michael, as there's always a bit of background, story and some good details such as the measurements in this report.

Like you, a friend of mine was recently introduced to Fuzz as well after 45 years of avoiding them; alas he bought a FF derivative before I could build one for him or make him build it himself (I'm getting him to build a YATS as his first self-built circuit).

Back