My Little Green Scream Machine

cdwillis

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
A few months ago I built one of these not realizing the transistors were BCE pinout and put CBEs in (2n3904s I think). When it didn't work I thought it was the op amp, yada yada yada I fucked up the pads trying to fix it. Pay attention to the pinouts, lesson learned! :D

A buddy of mine recently gave me his TS808 to fix thinking the switch was messed up. Turned out the pots had turned inside the enclosure somehow and were grounding the circuit out. I only messed around on the 808 for a few minutes to verify it worked, gave it back to him, then ordered a couple PCBs to build my own.

Turns out I had the 2SC1815 transistors the entire time. I also had the 510k resistors, kind of an odd value I think I must have ordered just for the screamer, but I didn't have 51k resistors. So the only sub I made was a 47k resistor for the 51k. Maybe it's a smidge cleaner or quieter at minimum drive. I can't tell any difference really. Sounds like a tube screamer to me!

337864797_199598509472908_7384068524408586909_n.jpeg 338315511_590705476424032_2278454236103966367_n.jpeg

The next one I build I might try red LEDs instead and tweak the gain structure for a lower minimum drive and higher maximum.

I noticed the LED uses a square pad for the cathode (like I would expect) and the electrolytic capacitors use a square pad for the annode. I vaguely remember Robert mentioning it in a post a long time ago, but it's something I gotta watch out for. It always confuses me when I go to wire up an LED. The LED on my Circulator is backwards and I've never made the effort to fix it lol.

The closest I got to building a stock TS808 was building one with a Timmy-style bass pot. It actually sounded pretty good. And I much prefer it if you use two pairs of diodes for clipping rather than a single pair.

Nice clean build. Did you specifically steer away from using a green enclosure?

Agreed on the diodes, Hamish. I think that keeps the tone from sounding buzzy and compressed. The one I built last and screwed up had doubled up 1n4148 diodes. I also added a switch to choose different capacitors in the clipping section. That was in a green enclosure. I haven't decided if I'm going to use that enclosure for the next one or not since I drilled that extra hole for the cap switch. I bought a few unfinished enclosures from love my switches and haven't painted any yet.

I thought green LEDs had a higher forward voltage than the red ones, but I just checked a couple of each in my stash and they were both around 1.9. Is that typical for greens? I know the reds I've checked in the past are around that.

I thought green LEDs had a higher forward voltage than the red ones, but I just checked a couple of each in my stash and they were both around 1.9. Is that typical for greens? I know the reds I've checked in the past are around that.
regardless of any specs, IME, green LEDs are a lot brighter sounding than red.
red sounded better to my ears.

Back