SOLVED No sound after being plugged in for a while

jmc1187

Hi all, I built my first pedal over the weekend (the Soft.ii) and it works great! There's kind of a weird issue that's happening though: I leave it powered via my 1spot supply, and after coming back to it say the next day, the LED lights up but there's no sound!

It's fixable by just disconnecting the 9v plug and waiting a moment for the capacitors to discharge. But it's kind of a weird problem, anyone have experience/suggestions on what to look for here?

Try turning the pedal on its back while plugged in when it Faults. Start in one corner & move components one at a time
using a non conductive item like a wood Pop stick. If the pedal comes alive you can pinpoint that component.

Possibly -- I noticed when I turn up the gain moving my input cable makes a crackling sound (and it doesn't happen on any other pedal, so I'm not convinced it's the cable at all). I can definitely make this happen when I pull the cable out of the Input jack.... so I am thinking there's an iffy grounding connection somewhere. I'm gonna disassemble things and take another look at the PCB solder joints.

Also try swapping the Input Cable out for another, Sometimes this also causes a drop in overall volume to the Amp.
I actually hurled one of my Patch cables the other day for the same reason.
I put all my Builds in the same Patch cables on my Board when I Test & a lot of Twisting can break down the wires internally.

OK it seems like the cable was the issue far as I can tell, I tried a couple others and plugged/unplugged them through my tuner. Each was fine until I got to the suspect one, which kind of made a 'pop' when it came out and then the soft.ii just stops working till I disconnect everything and let it sit for a few minutes.

Hopefully it didn't cause any permanent damage :)

Back
Top Bottom