Noire DM-2B (Boss DM-2W)

blackhatboojum

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
As @Guardians of the analog and I typically do, we were having a lengthy discussion about all things BBD one evening. During that talk, Chris brought up the idea of a DIY, dual 3205 DM-2. The funny thing was, I had already been kicking around that idea in my head. When he mentioned that I should call it the DM-2B, the “B” standing for “Blackhat”, like the Boss “W” standing for Waza, I was 100% on board. With this fresh motivation, I fired up my PC and got to work.

The end result is this. A GOTA/Blackhat Boojum collaboration, the DM-2B analog delay. As already mentioned, it’s essentially a Boss DM-2 but, with an extra V3205 delay chip and is true bypass. Outside of that, everything else is true to the original circuit.

When doing the layout for this project, I paid very close attention to where I laid out my traces. The idea being, that if I keep the delay and power as far away from each other as possible, and on separate board layers, I would eliminate any possible noise. This idea totally paid off. This thing is super quiet and has virtually no hiss or white noise. Something the Boss DM-2W doesn’t have going for it in my experience. Trying to run that pedal in front of my rig resulted in tone suck and a ridiculous amount of unwanted noise. The only way I could be happy with the Waza DM-2, was to utilize a true bypass looper. Not anymore with the Blackhat edition.

I typically don’t brag about my accomplishments but, I’m stroking my own ego on this one. I set out to make a DM-2, with more delay time, and without the Boss BS, and I crushed it 😤.

IMG_0370.jpeg

IMG_0371.jpeg

Last edited:
denzel-training-day.gif

Our chats always end in something cool like this. When I first heard the pedal I knew it was special. Great job Clinton 😤

Back