Noise Gates - Muffler or Muzzle?

Cucurbitam0schata

Hey Folks -

Just finished my Harmonic Percolator (w/ @Chuck D. Bones mods!) - and it's great.

But, adding this up with some other pedals, things are getting a little noisy. I'm considering a noise gate build. What do folks think of the Muffler (MXR Noise Gate) compared to the Muzzle (Fortin Zuul)? The Muffler looks like a straight-forward build. The Muzzle seems a little more sophisticated and has more difficult to source parts.

[just a humble bump, in case this gets lost. i'm still interested if anyone has any recommendations or thoughts!]
I haven’t tried the muffler yet so I can’t comment on that but I’ve built 2 muzzles and must say that it’s a great noise gate to use in the effects loop. I run my signal into a splitter first. One side goes through the pedal board and into the front of the amp and the other goes into the key input of the muzzle and then send and return of amp. This way no adjustment of the threshold is needed when switching between clean channel and dirty. The muzzle sees the same uneffected guitar signal

The Muffler is simple and uses commonly available parts that you can get most anywhere....

The Muzzle uses the THAT4301, which is slightly harder to find (discontinued) and costs more by itself than all of the parts used in the Muffler combined....

With that out of the way, the Muzzle is far superior, even if you don't use the key input.

Back