Octagon with Expression Input

The inner three terminals are A, B & C. Which one you call "A" is arbitrary. Put a mark with a sharpie next to the terminal you want to call A. We will call the outer terminals A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2 and so on. Makes more sense than calling them 1 thru 12. Set your DMM for BEEP if it has that setting, otherwise set it for the lowest Ohms range.
1) Rotate the switch full CCW (as viewed from the knob side).
2) Connect one lead of the DMM to A.
3) Touch the other DMM lead to the outer terminals near A until you get a BEEP or a resistance reading near zero. The terminal that beeps (or reads zero) is terminal A1. Put a mark with a sharpie next to terminal A1.
4) Rotate the switch one click CW and repeat step 3. The terminal that beeps is A2.
5) Repeat step 4 for terminals A3 & A4.
6) Rotate the switch full CCW.
7) Move the DMM lead from A to the next inside terminal, we'll call that one "B."
8) Perform steps 3 - 5 to find terminals B1 - B4, but don't make any marks.
9) Repeat steps 6 - 8 to find terminals C1 - C4.

Make sense?

The inner three terminals are A, B & C. Which one you call "A" is arbitrary. Put a mark with a sharpie next to the terminal you want to call A. We will call the outer terminals A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2 and so on. Makes more sense than calling them 1 thru 12. Set your DMM for BEEP if it has that setting, otherwise set it for the lowest Ohms range.
1) Rotate the switch full CCW (as viewed from the knob side).
2) Connect one lead of the DMM to A.
3) Touch the other DMM lead to the outer terminals near A until you get a BEEP or a resistance reading near zero. The terminal that beeps (or reads zero) is terminal A1. Put a mark with a sharpie next to terminal A1.
4) Rotate the switch one click CW and repeat step 3. The terminal that beeps is A2.
5) Repeat step 4 for terminals A3 & A4.
6) Rotate the switch full CCW.
7) Move the DMM lead from A to the next inside terminal, we'll call that one "B."
8) Perform steps 3 - 5 to find terminals B1 - B4, but don't make any marks.
9) Repeat steps 6 - 8 to find terminals C1 - C4.

Make sense?
Thats super helpful, thanks a million ?

Hey there, it's me for the last time (hopefully). I couldn't measure the Switch myself due to a bad MM but asked the people at Musikding, where I ordered the switch if they could help me. They told me that the order of pins is the one you can see in the picture, so I wired the thing up last night. It works perfectly fine but for some reason pot 1 and 3 see to have been interchanged (1 is 3 now and vice versa). Can you verify, that the order of pins is correct? Should I maybe just swap the cables that go to A and C on the switch? :) Oh, I couldnt test the expression pedal function so far as my pedal is broken, but I've got a new one coming soon

Attachments

• Image41111.jpg
    Image41111.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 5
Recheck your wiring first. Then try Swapping A & C on the switch, it should work. You really need a working DMM. They are pretty much free here in the US if you wait for when Harbor Freight gives them away as a promotion. I'm assuming you're in Deutchland. I don't know if the German people would allow a Beschissener :poop:Werkzeugladen like Harbor Freight in their country. Amazon has DMMs for under $10.

Recheck your wiring first. Then try Swapping A & C on the switch, it should work. You really need a working DMM. They are pretty much free here in the US if you wait for when Harbor Freight gives them away as a promotion. I'm assuming you're in Deutchland. I don't know if the German people would allow a Beschissener :poop:Werkzeugladen like Harbor Freight in their country. Amazon has DMMs for under $10.

Thanks!! Yeah I am in Germany and of course you can buy DMMs here as well ;D I do have one thats ok but I couldn't get it to work in the way you suggested so I asked the people at the shop where I bought the switch. Anyway, I will check the wiring and then test out changing the two wires @ A and C ;)

I finalized the project (and will post pics soon) and everything works as it should, hallelujah! :))) Thanks for your awesome assistance. Only thing I was wondering about: With my expression Pedal (A Moog EP-3) it seems to have the wrong polarity (is this the right word?), for example I expected the Tremolo Speed to go up when I push down my toes but its the other way round. Not really a problem but I wondering if I can easily reverse that, for example by swapping the two leads that go to the outer terminals of the expression jack?

Back