Octagon with Expression Input

Hexjibber

Hi, this is my first post to this forum but thought it appropriate to share this build.

I will start by saying a big thanks to Madbean forum member bsoncini for their post on adding an expression pedal control to the Octagon, it was really clearly written as well as just being a great idea!

I've really enjoyed the project overall being my first delve into the realms of FV-1 and also PedalPCB, thankfully the board and instructions made it simple and easy so thanks for that!

The box is etched with NaOH (caustic soda/lye) with a few coats of clear for good measure. Here's the pics...

tumblr_pt8auutIPg1rhqqnk_500.jpg

tumblr_pt8auvO9C11rhqqnk_500.jpg

tumblr_pt8auwTrOu1rhqqnk_500.jpg

tumblr_pt8auxUaME1rhqqnk_500.jpg

Beautiful! Nice clean build inside & out. Can you expound on the etching method, i.e. how do you transfer the pattern to the surface?

This is beautiful. I love the original design. Expression pedal?! Can you please post the link? I'd like to add one to mine.
Here’s bsonici’s original post on it.

I’ve also been looking for a couple weeks on line at adding EXP jack in general. Here’s some other links on the topic.

Always have to keep missing the pedals! Another fun addition is a 2knob job PCB. It adds a second pot for 2 different settings that can be switched between with a 3pdt. Great for those infinite feedback swells or a major gain boost.

Thanks a lot everyone, I'm really pleased with this build overall :)

I did link to the original Madbean post in my post but the link colour on the forum is almost the same as the body text so makes it hard to see. I see it's been posted further up though so all good! Definitely worth a try if you're interested, just add an extra level of fun to it.

Beautiful! Nice clean build inside & out. Can you expound on the etching method, i.e. how do you transfer the pattern to the surface?

Thanks! :)

I have a tutorial I did a while back on how I do etching, hopefully it may be of some use? I did it a good few years ago but my method hasn't changed at all in that time. Any questions though just give me a shout!

https://diy-guitar-effects.tumblr.com/etching

Wow, thats pretty cool! does this work with the Arachnid (+custom EEPROM)?

The octagon is actually the exact same thing as the arachnid, it just comes with the octagon eeprom. if you download the build docs, they are identical (they say arachnid on the top). The module8 is also identical, with the module8 eeprom. So, yeah this mod would work the same.

Hey, I am still waiting for my Arachnid PCB which is currently enjoying it's time with German Customs for almost 4 weeks now :)/). In the meantime I spend my time designing the enclosure and everything and was also wondering how the rotary switch for the Expression Input actually works. I bought the switch shown in the picture and am unsure about the pin numbering. Can someone tell me which pins are A. B and C and which ones are 1 to 12?

Attachments

• Image41111.jpg
    Image41111.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 3
Back