Oxide Distortion

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This one I consider a classic. It's very smooth sounding drive. Nice, warm and amp-like. The tone stack is very useful too.

I splurged and bought a CA3260 chip. If you crank the gain that's when it makes any impact at all. I socketed the transistors because I've seen 2N5088 in there but I don't think they will make a big difference.

I gave it retro look. Very pleased with how it all came out.

Attachments

• 20240420_093230.jpg
    20240420_093230.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240420_093235.jpg
    20240420_093235.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240420_093256.jpg
    20240420_093256.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 43
Nice looking build !

I built it too and i really enjoy this one. i tried a diode mod, but the standard configuration is better than anything i could try.

EQ section is great, it's perfect !

Edit : Can't see any plastic washer on your build... May i ask where is it ?

I love the big honkin' LED and the graphic makes me hear 80s lo-fi synth sounds. Very cool build.

Not familiar with the circuit but now it's time for me to take a look. I appreciate almost anything with a 3 band EQ

Nice looking build !

I built it too and i really enjoy this one. i tried a diode mod, but the standard configuration is better than anything i could try.

EQ section is great, it's perfect !

Edit : Can't see any plastic washer on your build... May i ask where is it ?
Thanks! I really do like the EQ.

You know, I mentioned in the report that I was very pleased with it. That was a lie. Without a plastic washer, I'm very underwhelmed. It lacks that je ne sais quoi.

It lacks that je ne sais quoi.
-2500pts

I know it's a lot, but that's how we learn, isn't it ?

Your 3PDT was certainly supplied with a plastic washer, it's the golden rule. Can you tell us what you really do with it ? did you throw it away ? That would be -1000pts on top of the -2500...

Cool Build!
What does the Yellow knob do? ;)
This is coming in the mail to me, I have 2 that i built from Aion when they were normal looking PCB's way back with 9mm pots!

Last edited:
-2500pts

I know it's a lot, but that's how we learn, isn't it ?

Your 3PDT was certainly supplied with a plastic washer, it's the golden rule. Can you tell us what you really do with it ? did you throw it away ? That would be -1000pts on top of the -2500...
I dont know if this is going to hurt my point total but, I actually did not throw it away. Ironically(?) I started using the washers on the inside of the enclosure to set the footswitch. So, they are there... Just not properly displayed on the outside.

I started using the washers on the inside of the enclosure to set the footswitch. So, they are there... Just not properly displayed on the outside.
Oh yes, my bad !

I checked your pictures before posting, but i couldn't see It at first glance. It's only noticeable on the 3PDT top side, hidden by wires, like a shameful disease or something, but It's there, thank the diy goddess, glory to the Plastic Ring.

So it's +250 pts, no penalties, of course. My deepest apologies.

On the outside it would have been +50000, with a bonus because it would have matched the knobs color, significantly improving the overall design, but... it's probably too late.

Last edited:
Back