Pandora's Box with Bass Mod

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I had a lot of fun with this guy. It uses the RAT as a foundation but really expands on it.

Another plug for how awesome and knowledgeable the folks on this forum are. I always recommend to do a quick search on a board before soldering it up. It's easy to find like minded builders that just has great ideas and suggestions. The contour knob for this pedal subtle but really does help add back in some much needed low end. Big thanks to @Chuck D. Bones as always for the suggestion from an old post. (Im pretty sure thats where this came from). I accidentally wired the pot backwards at first but after I got that sorted it was good to go.

Went with OP07 ICs. I love RATs so this is definitely a must have for fans. Only issue I have is the toggles don't match up to what is actually going on. The UP/UP and Down/Down combos do what is listed but the Up/Down and Down/UP are backwards. Not sure if I did something wrong there or what. Either way no biggie since it's for me but if I make another one I would want to sort that out.

Aside from that it was an easy and satisfying build.

Attachments

• 20231014_115427.jpg
    20231014_115427.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231014_115443.jpg
    20231014_115443.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20231014_115616.jpg
    20231014_115616.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231014_115338.jpg
    20231014_115338.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 27
You couldn't have done something wrong with the build, as the switches are PCB-mounted, and as Chuck's signature says:
"The circuit works the way it's wired, regardless of how you think it's wired." — Bill's Law

So the down/up & up/down are incorrectly labelled in the build doc ?

TOGGLE 1TOGGLE 2
CRUNCH🔼🔼
OD (should be DIST?)🔽🔼
DIST (should be OD?)🔼🔽
FORBIDDEN🔽🔽

Did you have tayda print the front-vertical panel? I had heard that became an option, but I hadn’t seen one yet. Looks great!

You couldn't have done something wrong with the build, as the switches are PCB-mounted, and as Chuck's signature says:
"The circuit works the way it's wired, regardless of how you think it's wired." — Bill's Law

So the down/up & up/down are incorrectly labelled in the build doc ?

TOGGLE 1TOGGLE 2
CRUNCH🔼🔼
OD (should be DIST?)🔽🔼
DIST (should be OD?)🔼🔽
FORBIDDEN🔽🔽
That's what I'm wondering as well. Maybe someone else who built it can weigh in? I'm only finding a build report from @DGWVI

Did you have tayda print the front-vertical panel? I had heard that became an option, but I hadn’t seen one yet. Looks great!
Thanks! Nah, this was just a clear decal on the front. UV printing on the front would be pretty cool tho.

I had a lot of fun with this guy. It uses the RAT as a foundation but really expands on it.

Another plug for how awesome and knowledgeable the folks on this forum are. I always recommend to do a quick search on a board before soldering it up. It's easy to find like minded builders that just has great ideas and suggestions. The contour knob for this pedal subtle but really does help add back in some much needed low end. Big thanks to @Chuck D. Bones as always for the suggestion from an old post. (Im pretty sure thats where this came from). I accidentally wired the pot backwards at first but after I got that sorted it was good to go.

Went with OP07 ICs. I love RATs so this is definitely a must have for fans. Only issue I have is the toggles don't match up to what is actually going on. The UP/UP and Down/Down combos do what is listed but the Up/Down and Down/UP are backwards. Not sure if I did something wrong there or what. Either way no biggie since it's for me but if I make another one I would want to sort that out.

Aside from that it was an easy and satisfying build.
My build seems to work correctly as the per the build docs.

Here is a demo I did to show what I'm hearing. I double checked that I matched on my enclosure what is in the build doc. Looks the same. Except you can hear when I do the "overdrive" switch its definitely distortion. It almost sounds identical to the forbidden setting. I think there's a little difference from the crunch sound and the overdrive sound (labeled distortion). Something ain't right

Last edited:
Here is a demo I did to show what I'm hearing. I double checked that I matched on my enclosure what is in the build doc. Looks the same. Except you can hear when I do the "overdrive" switch its definitely distortion. It almost sounds identical to the forbidden setting. I think there's a little difference from the crunch sound and the overdrive sound (labeled distortion). Something ain't right

I'll pull mine back out and check it again

@VanWhy

Just recorded this.
Seems like it's working right. But the distinction between "Overdrive" and "Distortion" is just semantics.
It sounds like in the Distortion mode another set of hard clippers are being added.

edit: Sorry for the clipping.

@VanWhy

Just recorded this.
Seems like it's working right. But the distinction between "Overdrive" and "Distortion" is just semantics.
It sounds like in the Distortion mode another set of hard clippers are being added.

edit: Sorry for the clipping.

Thanks for taking it back out and getting a recording. Much appreciated. I will need to mess around with mine a little more.

Back