Parentheses Fuzz: Major hum, no signal from bass

bitzie

After way too long of a wait (Musikding originally sent me the wrong pcb) I got around to putting together my Parentheses Fuzz kit. I'm not a fan of the original layout so I decided to wire all the pots, footswitches, and leds. But something has gone wrong because I mainly just hear a loud hum that osscilates a bit and no signal at all from my bass. On the boost side of things, the footswitch completely kills the hum when turned off and if using the boost pot, the hum comes in from about 2-8 out of 10; at the minimum and maximum the hum is gone. The distortion and octave footswitches and pots as well as the rotary switch don't seem to be doing anything. The footswitch leds all work properly, but I don't think I've seen the small onboard red led light up at all. I tried putting it into an enclosure, but there was no change.
Any glaring mistakes that jump out to you guys?

top.jpg under.jpg

@JamieJ is right. Look at the wiring diagram again the ground pads are on the inner pads (right side for the input and left side for the output). Also just a note and this is not required but you should keep red for power and black for ground. I don’t always keep to this rule but I try to!

swap those input Jack wires and let us know!

OK, one step closer! Yes, the jacks were wired backwards. Now hearing the signal from the bass, but the hum is still there. I'm going to try reflowing everything to make sure there are no cold joints. One of my main worries right now is that by not mounting everything to the board and using the extensions, it's introducing hum that way?

Edit: Reflowed everything and the hum is still there. One thing I noticed is that when I unplugged the power, but left everything else connected, there is a very prominent hiss coming through?

Last edited:
Putting the circuit in a grounded enclosure will help some with the noise. Also I try to keep the off board wiring as short as possible and even more I try to avoid off board pots it’s just much more tedious

Ok, so I got it figured out. Power supply. I have a Truetone CS6 power supply for my board. But... In an effort to make it easier for testing, I was using a Truetone OneSpot wall plug. Nothing else attached to it though, just the Parentheses. Just for giggles and to eliminate the easy possibilities I attached the Parentheses to the CS6 and there you go... no more hum. There's the possibility that it was also due to the outlet I was using for the OneSpot as it's also where most of my computer system is plugged into, whereas my CS6 is plugged into a different wall socket entirely. Either way, crisis averted and onto the real fun part, drilling my enclosure! Thanks for taking the time to help!

... and I guess I spoke just a bit too soon. I put it into the enclosure and.. nothing. No hum. No sound. Nothing. I covered the back of the pots with electrical tape, but I guess something probably pierced one of the wires and shorted something? Everything appears to be working minus the output. All of the leds work correctly and the clipping led lights up in response to the bass. I've checked the wiring and everything seems to be fine.

I'm done for the night. This is just way too frustrating especially since my last build was a Parentheses Mini and it went fine. I figured that the full-size Parentheses would be so much easier with all the extra room to work, but apparently the universe has been telling me from the start that this was a bad idea with all the delays from the get go. Maybe tomorrow I'll get it figured out...

parentheses flow full.jpg

I've been trying to troubleshoot this one further. I put together an audio probe and this is where I'm at as far as my noob electronics skills can tell. I don't get any signal on either side of R13 or R14, but it does continue until R17 which is flows through, but doesn't seem to get past the IC. It hits R16, but doesn't go through it. So would the next step be confirming replacements for R13, 14, 16 and installing them? As for the IC, is this possibly pointing to the IC being faulty? (This was a kit from Musikding, not personally sourced parts.)

Back