Pauper - Completing the family...

MichaelW

Well, I built out the Pauper pcb today and completed my KOT trio, trilogy, triumvirate, triad, threesome....whatever...:)

I wanted to fit this in a 1590B with top mounted jacks because......well....I just like them:)
And I also wanted to put the internal dip switches on toggles, that turned out to be a bigger challenge than I anticipated.
It was a pretty tight squeeze getting everything in there.

Now that I'm looking at the pictures, I see that I forgot to do a couple of things, I meant to tuck the in/out wires under the PCB.
Also, the 3PDT connecting wires look kinda butt fugly. I think I'm going to start just using resistor leads on these tight builds instead of trying to strip and bend wires. My wire stripper just doesn't get close enough if one end is already soldered and if I try to prep really short wires before soldering it usually pulls all the insulation off.

Still, it was a satisfying build, fired right up. I have not played with it too much, only a few minutes to verify everything works. It's definitely got it's own voice and not quite the same as a single channel of the Paragon.

The Turbo and Lift settings are pretty subtle and really only noticeable at the high end of the gain range. Still was worth the effort of doing the toggles.

The only other mod I did was the B250k gain pot. I figured I'd probably want the additional gain and glad I did that. Still works well as a clean boost, and low gain settings, just like on the Paragons.

Oh and I think I should have relocated the led. The tone knob kinda hides it unless you're looking straight down at it.
I toyed with the idea of using the smaller Boss style knobs but ended up using the Davies style to match the Paragons.

I'm planning to put together a short track sometime this week comparing all 3 pedals if I can get some guitar playing time in.

I socketed the diodes and have BA282's in there right now. I might try some other ones tomorrow but I imagine it will wind up with either the BA282 or MA858's.

IMG_2788.JPG
IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_2794.JPG
IMG_2790.JPG
IMG_2798.JPG

Looks good, can you tell a difference in the tone between circuits, and/or 'mojo' components?
Honestly, I cannot tell the difference between the "mojo" stuff. It's the in the realm of mojo I guess heh.

I can tell the difference between the Paragon's and the Pauper for sure. Even with the 4 soft clipper in there, it doesn't quite sound the same. The PoT is definitely not "1/2 a KOT". It's a different sounding pedal, in the same vein but different.

I can also hear the difference between different hard clippers I've tried. But that's just sitting down A/B'ing side by side. But dialing up a good sounding lead tone like in the video I posted, I can't hear the difference in the mix tbh. And I mixed it hahaha....

Back