Pauper fix

Mike McLane

Just built a new Pauper, but it won't give me a peep!!! I get the guitar thru the bypass, but the only thing I get when powered on is a pop when switching from BOOST to OD. I have double checked all component values as best I could, re-melted all of the solder joints and double checked that the foot switch is functioning properly. Still no change. The Op Amp and the MA856 diodes came from a previous build that went "south" when I inadvertently damaged the PCB. Was wondering if the IC is possibly shot from the wear & tear of the previous build. I included a gut shots just in case. Any suggestions?

I double checked all of the component values I could, remelted all of the solder joints, the TONE pot is not grounding out, the switch appears to be working properly.

Attachments

• IMG_2845.JPG
    IMG_2845.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2843.JPG
    IMG_2843.JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 13
I measured dcv from each IC pole to grd and got the following :
Power supply voltage is 9.38 . . . .
1 - 1.347
2 - 1.347
3 - .816
4 - 0
5 - 9.4
6 - 8.42
7 - 8.61
8 - 9.15
Hope that tells you something.

R13 looks like 47 ohm not 47K ohm that'd mess up your voltage divider and VREF voltage

Your IC voltages especially on pin 5 which comes directly from the voltage divider junction of R12 and 13 still look off

I'd change R13 to 47K and check voltage at pin 5 it should be the same as the voltage at the junction of R12 and 13 (VREF)

If not remove it from it's socket and check voltage on pin 5 socket if it's VREF (half power) you may have a fried IC or some other fault like a solder bridge etc

Last edited:
Buy that man two beers!!! You called it Mcknib! Thx! I was so frustrated I was ready to trash the whole f'in thing, but I spent so much time on the on the bootleg enclosure that I just had to keep trying.

IMG_2851.JPG

Back