PedalPCB Brownout Overdrive (Subdecay Variac)

bluedmc777

Well-known member
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Just buttoned this one up tonight but have a feeling I’m not finished with this one. Mine is incredibly dark whereas others I’ve asked say there’s is on the bright side. On a good note I can tell it’s gonna be a killer distortion/od once I’ve figured it out. Have a sneaky suspicion I installed a wrong cap or resistor value so I’ll keep this one updated!

Build went incredibly simple despite the somewhat tight layout.

IMG_5528.jpeg IMG_5525.jpeg IMG_5527.jpeg
 
So I changed the 100n cap out for the correct 1n cap and holy smokes!!! This pedal rocks! Bridge position on a Strat this is probably THE most amp like pedal I’ve ever played. I actually enjoyed playing on the bridge position. This pedal isn’t a Van Halen brown sound pedal like the name would lead you to believe. It isn’t that high gain. It is a rock pedal but it shines as an overdrive. I’m tempted to build another with Chucks mods now. Man they didn’t market this pedal correctly!
 
I haven’t yet…I was too impressed with whatever knob position i wound up on. Think everything was from 11-1 so I didn’t reach the extremes.
 
What impresses me about the Brownout/Variac is the variety of sounds available. That's rare IME. I really like leaving the Pentodes knob on zero and using the Preamp knob alone for gain. Then turning Preamp down a bit and raising the Pentodes knob.

I'm not sure which pedal I prefer - the Brownout or the Golden Falk. Both have that wonderful JFET richness.
 
Back
Top