[PedalPCB] Chicken Lover

szukalski

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
So, I built myself a Chickenhead but didn’t box it up because I wanted to do a UV print enclosure. It sounded great and I really like how it stacks.

Around the same time, I built an Aphrodite because I liked the demos. It’s supposed to be based on a Klon but I don’t hear it. I had an issue with some fake TL072s but worked it out in the end. I also enjoyed this pedal, especially in stacks (it goes well with either blue or green side of the Pro-10 Dual).

I tried it with the Chickenhead and really liked it so wanted to build a 2-in-1 and I had a 1590BB spare to part with. I wanted independent sides, so went with dual input/output like the KoT option. If you only connect the first and last sockets then it goes Chickenhead into Aphrodite, but you can run a patch cable to go the other way, or just run one side.

Sound wise, you get the nice TL072 crunch, driven by the Germanium booster. For a really flexible setup, I run Chickenhead > Pro-10 > Aphrodite and have six really usable but unique tones.

Knobs were just what I had on hand, they’ll get replaced in the next Tayda order, but they work for now..
F7BAE8B3-3124-475C-B829-A34D16074C00.jpeg 0BA2B823-3563-4120-AD89-2EC02CD419AB.jpeg
Build rating is 4. The boards were straight forward, but the wiring and enclosure was fiddly.

The Chickenhead is a fantastic simple boost, isn't it? I really like the Dark Esbat but there's no way I could fit one in a 1590BB with an OD as well. It's a shame because the Dark Esbat kinda takes over from where the Chickenhead leaves off, and is a lot quieter too.

You can see the Broadcast as a "better" Chickenhead too, and I have managed to fit one of those and an OD into a 1590BB! But not with a PCB (or the transformer). But you can't beat the Chickenhead for simplicity and sound. Cool build!

The Chickenhead is a fantastic simple boost, isn't it? I really like the Dark Esbat but there's no way I could fit one in a 1590BB with an OD as well. It's a shame because the Dark Esbat kinda takes over from where the Chickenhead leaves off, and is a lot quieter too.

You can see the Broadcast as a "better" Chickenhead too, and I have managed to fit one of those and an OD into a 1590BB! But not with a PCB (or the transformer). But you can't beat the Chickenhead for simplicity and sound. Cool build!
Thanks! It really is a great circuit . I keep looking at the Dark Esbat, but the backlog..! A quieter Chickenhead with ability to control the high end would be nice.

Didn’t think about the Broadcast, it’s obvious once you think about the high end presence..

And the bass roll-off... I turned one of mine into an Ariel Posen version by swapping out the Ge transistor for a 2N4033 silicon. Then added a small cap across the base and collector of that transistor and now I don't get an instantly brighter tone when I step on the pedal.

I didn't "get" the Broadcast at first but it makes one of the best boosters I've heard.

Agree with that. Once I started using it as a boost instead of standalone, I was much more satisfied.

Paired with either a clone of the Caline CP-60 Wine Cellar, or clone of the Reuss Wine and Roses Steve Wynn signature pedal, it could be:

"Coq au Vin"

What does the SAVAGE knob do? I've studied the schematic and run some sims, but I want to know what you think of the SAVAGE knob.

I'm trusting that the trace is 100% accurate.

Back