PedalPCB Conqueror Fuzz Build - with the Requisite Number of Geeky References...

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I really liked the sound of the Jext Telez White Pedal, but I really hated the price. Fortunately the PedalPCB Conqueror Fuzz board is out there, so I decided to take the plunge as after mulling it over a bit, I had "an idea" (be afraid, be very, very afraid...).

PedalPCB - Conqueror Fuzz - Sauropod the White - SN01 - 03 - 01.jpg

Overall the PCB itself isn't that complex, but it does have a few specialized components. I'm doing a pretty "modern" build on this one without NOS vintage components. The resistors are all 1% metal film Yageo and I think one KAO Speer. The film capacitors are all Wima (5% and one 10% tolerance) and KEMET (all 5% tolerance). The electrolytic capacitors are all Nichicon, apart from the 470uF, which I had to go to a Panasonic to fit the available footprint on the PCB. The design uses both BC548 and 2N4125 transistors. The BC548 transistors are the B variant with a medium to high gain. The design also uses an Inductor - I went ahead and sprung for a Dunlop Fasel re-issue.

PedalPCB - Conqueror Fuzz - Sauropod the White - SN01 - 03 - 02.jpg

Everything fits very neatly into a 125B enclosure. If I'd moved some components around a bit, I may have been able to even add a battery to this one, but I decided against it as I had "an idea" for the art and sort of needed the space. The off-board wiring follows my normal procedure - star ground on the input and ribbon cable connecting the 3PDT daughter board to the main PCB.

PedalPCB - Conqueror Fuzz - Sauropod the White - SN01 - 03 - 03.jpg

For the enclosure, I needed to make a reference both to the pedal (the White Pedal) and a dinosaur. I mulled it over for a while, and then my inner Tolkien geek asserted itself and the answer was obvious - "Sauropod the White!" I already had a couple of good licensed Tolkien fonts, so getting the pedal design together from there was easy. If you're wondering, the Elvish around the stomp switch says,
"One pedal to rule them all, one pedal to find them, One pedal to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them..."
... of course!

PedalPCB - Conqueror Fuzz - Sauropod the White - SN01 - 03 - 07.jpg

Steggo Studio's resident Sauropod, Belvedere the Brachiosaurus, couldn't wait to show off with a couple of these. I'm not sure what he's doing what that ring, though. I may be a bit worried...

Rad! Fantastic builds!
What fonts did you use for those— I’d like to compare them to the Tolkienesque fonts I have currently downloaded (might even be the same as what I have honestly, but yours look so good!)

I think if you're going to mix Jurassic with Tolkien at least give your sauropod some wings! I'm sure if you looked in enough jurassic amber you might find a beatle...

Rad! Fantastic builds!
What fonts did you use for those— I’d like to compare them to the Tolkienesque fonts I have currently downloaded (might even be the same as what I have honestly, but yours look so good!)

The primary font is "Aniron"

The Elven script is "Tengwar Annatar"

How do you like the way it sounds?
I'm really liking it - I can dial it in as a good middle of the road fuzz, or I can really nail that 60's Beatles, Kinks, and early Stones sound... It also stacks well with my Noventa Jazzmaster build, which gives that guitar a whole new sandbox to play in.

Back