OD is Glorious
Well-known member
- Build Rating
- 5.00 star(s)
Sounds like a sustaining saturated fuzz. The controls are useful and the dirt potentiometer works perfectly to bring the honey bees or the murder wasps. I think as far as fuzz goes, it is decent. This circuit with the MP26 transistors does not have flub or gating: it just has magnificent distortion or sustaining fuzz.
In my experience this tone knob works different in that turning left gets treble. Build docs call for three B100k potentiometers but I used B100k for dirt and tone and I used an A100k for the volume. I used a 1N270 Ge diode and a TC1044 charge pump. Instead of the hard to find (PNP) NKT275 Ge transistors I ordered ten (PNP) NOS MP26b transistors from Ukraine. I spent hours trying to measure and finally I just socketed them on the pcb. I settled on the first three I tried because this ain't diamond cutting - it is a fuzz and all it needs to do is please my ears. So it does please them.
I used a Tayda pastel green 125b with a film free decal and a Spraymax 2k clear coat. I used some 19mm red fluted mirror cap knobs. I used top jacks with a PPCB top jack faceplate. Inside I used enclosed mono jacks and a soft click footswitch.
If you love fuzz you will probably have to build one
Notes
- NKT275 are hard to find. Other Soviet era transistors will work great- if testing is hard socket them and try, try.
- I think an A100k works great for volume
- Tone knob works counterintuitively
- Lots of room in a 125b which means this will easily fit in a 1590b if you mind the height of components
Attachments
Last edited: