PedalPCB VHS/JHS VCR

OD is Glorious

Well-known member
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
IMG_1803.jpeg

It is sold out here for a reason. Great circuit that makes great boost, chorus and reverb. I have built a VCR before but it is long gone... and I forgot how nice it is. The build is not difficult and the end result is three pedals in one. You get immense satisfaction and very usable tones from this build.

1590bb was sanded and a waterslide decal was applied. Then the pedal was clear coated with 2k satin clear. I used black Taiway DPDT on/on short bats. For the individual LEDs JHS uses, Red, Green, Yellow. I like blue for reverb because it reminds me of water, so the R toggle is blue. All three are bezel-less 3mm diffused. I wanted the LEDs to line up with their corresponding labels so I had to use a 9mm off-board potentiometer (see image) for the boost pot. No top jack plate but In did use Switchcraft jacks with special dress nuts. I used a black footswitch with. PPCB brightness breakout board - 5mm red LED in a red freznel for the main bypass LED. The knobs are MXR style in white.

Notice how I had to turn the output jack so that it would not interfere with the off-board boost potentiometer... original had side jacks but I think side jacks would be ridiculous on a 1590bb so they are top jacks.

Notes
  1. SMD FV-1 is required and this one was soldered by PPCB, you can do it, but I suggest you let PPCB do it
  2. 24LC32A EEPROM also must be ordered from PPCB - it is programmed so do not lose it or mix it up
  3. Plan for your three status LEDs layout - my planning was close but no cigar
  4. Plan for the areas where top jacks go... the original uses side jacks and - enclosed jacks will not work as top jacks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1804.jpeg
    IMG_1804.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1805.jpeg
    IMG_1805.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1806.jpeg
    IMG_1806.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1801.jpeg
    IMG_1801.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1802.jpeg
    IMG_1802.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top