Percolator Mod…

Coda

I am thinking of adding a toggle (SPDT- on/off/on) to a Harmonic Percolator Injust built, in order to choose between either of the diodes, or no diodes. I could use a second opinion. As I see it (which is almost always the wrong way), I would connect the diode to one leg (? I can’t remember what they are called) of the switch, and then wire the middle lug (I remembered!) to to be, where the other end (negative) of the diode would go, correct?

Think of it as in/out, with the center lug being being IN, and the OUT being one of 2 diode legs soldered to lug 1 or 3.

51TwaYP.jpg

Last edited:
Think of it as in/out, with the center lug being being IN, and the OUT being one of 2 diode legs soldered to lug 1 or 3.

51TwaYP.jpg
So I run a wire from the positive side of the diode on the pcb to the center lug. Then I connect the positive end of the diode to the outer lug, and the other end back to the negative diode of the pcb. Right?
Edit: I posted the above before I let the photo you attach load. Would it matter that the diodes in question are not together in the circuit?

Since I want to choose between one of the two diodes, I would need a different switch, judging by that, correct?

If I understand correctly what you're saying, then yes, it would matter. You'll have asymmetrical clipping if they're not together.

So you mean... you've got a total of 2 single diodes and you have one on Lug 1, and the other on Lug 3? It'll sound the same if they're the same type of diode and if it's the on-off-on switch.

FOUR47YFD80OUWQ.jpg

13b8ebf3cad092bd036972bb7832cecd.jpg

You could rig up a switch to make it symmetrical, off, asymmetrical...

I like to use DPDT on-off-on and put sockets in the middle with LEDs and then silicon or Ge, symmetrical & asymmetrical on the outer lugs. The higher forward voltage of the LEDs is ignored in either "ON" position of the switch; in the OFF position you've got LEDs or manually remove the LEDs and you've got the no-clipping option.

If the PCB has pads for a set of diodes, you can use a SPDT on-off-on (again, I'd socket the PCB's clipping diodes and stuff the sockets with LEDs (or not)...

led8.gif
AMZ's SPDT

If I understand correctly what you're saying, then yes, it would matter. You'll have asymmetrical clipping if they're not together.

So you mean... you've got a total of 2 single diodes and you have one on Lug 1, and the other on Lug 3? It'll sound the same if they're the same type of diode and if it's the on-off-on switch.

FOUR47YFD80OUWQ.jpg

13b8ebf3cad092bd036972bb7832cecd.jpg

You could rig up a switch to make it symmetrical, off, asymmetrical...

I like to use DPDT on-off-on and put sockets in the middle with LEDs and then silicon or Ge, symmetrical & asymmetrical on the outer lugs. The higher forward voltage of the LEDs is ignored in either "ON" position of the switch; in the OFF position you've got LEDs or manually remove the LEDs and you've got the no-clipping option.

If the PCB has pads for a set of diodes, you can use a SPDT on-off-on (again, I'd socket the PCB's clipping diodes and stuff the sockets with LEDs (or not)...

led8.gif
AMZ's SPDT
Here is the schematic.

I socketed the two Ge diodes, and experimented with them both in, both out, one I and one out, and vice versa. I’m not a fan of the both in sound. I like it with no diodes, and I like the sound with one diodes (d2 and d3) I want to be able to switch between no diodes, d2, or d3.

Attachments

• C0EB8A2F-F659-47DA-9F6A-6F17442B31C7.jpeg
    C0EB8A2F-F659-47DA-9F6A-6F17442B31C7.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 24
Here is the schematic.

I socketed the two Ge diodes, and experimented with them both in, both out, one I and one out, and vice versa. I’m not a fan of the both in sound. I like it with no diodes, and I like the sound with one diodes (d2 and d3) I want to be able to switch between no diodes, d2, or d3.
There's no D3 on the schematic.

The D100 diode protects the circuit and should not be removed.

So you like the sound of D2 and its associated resistor (R5)?
If you want no diodes and just D2, that's no problemo.

EDIT: You could have "asymmetrical — none — asymmetrical" using a SPDT on-off-on, since you're not a fan of symmetrical clipping.

Three different sounds. Try a single silicon or LED or Schottky in one side, the stock D2/R5 on the other side and nuttin in da middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: fig
There's no D3 on the schematic.

The D100 diode protects the circuit and should not be removed.

So you like the sound of D2 and its associated resistor (R5)?
If you want no diodes and just D2, that's no problemo.

EDIT: You could have "asymmetrical — none — asymmetrical" using a SPDT on-off-on, since you're not a fan of symmetrical clipping.

Three different sounds. Try a single silicon or LED or Schottky in one side, the stock D2/R5 on the other side and nuttin in da middle.
I meant D1 and 2. What you described is what I would like to do: D1/no diode/D2

I meant D1 and 2. What you described is what I would like to do: D1/no diode/D2
Also give the 3-diode anti-parallel asymmetric a try (#4 in the "Basic Diode Clipping Variations" graphic, or any of the 3 (A/B/C) in the "Asymmetrical Clipping" graphic in post #5.

I quite like asymmetrical clipping as well — LED anti-parallel with a Schottky ("B" in the "Asymmetrical Clipping" chart) is a fave.

Also give the 3-diode anti-parallel asymmetric a try (#4 in the "Basic Diode Clipping Variations" graphic, or any of the 3 (A/B/C) in the "Asymmetrical Clipping" graphic in post #5.

I quite like asymmetrical clipping as well — LED anti-parallel with a Schottky ("B" in the "Asymmetrical Clipping" chart) is a fave.
Things brings us back to my original question: how to wire the switch.

Just like Fig showed you, but remove one diode from each side — singles instead of pairs.

EDIT: Actually, you could simplify it further by wiring the two diodes' negative side together.

YeWgBmgUnexlDAMjl7PCI-0bFIdd_e3mMCxX_1B7aQ8pIggtL9_BaJBZFc_6PzIUVEkPnc1ilHm68Q_YGnQB7KQl6Cqo9PKwy0NVdCwYQV7cqwOaROcppSOU93iJXaxoEuqWndfqMcYMvzR-BvrR

Where "SW1" is the signal side coming from the PCB and "SW2" goes to ground (again, ignore the double diodes, just pop it with a single on each side). One wire from the board, 1 wire back to ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: fig
Update: I’m still running the pedal through its paces. D2 engaged and no diodes are definitely good settings (and different). However, D1 engaged is similar to no diode. There is a difference, but it is very subtle. No diode is more of a crunchy fuzz distortion, D1 engaged is that, plus a bit of splatter. I’m thinking of swapping in the asymmetrical “figure b” Schottkey/LED set up doe D1. I could also add another switch that would allow me to go Ge for D1 or the anti-parallel asymmetrical…

A thought. The way I have it set up now, the center lug is coming from the D1 anode pad. So when I switch to D2, I am in fact not getting D2, since the input is coming from D1, and not from D2, and this, does not follow the 4k7. In order to do this mod the way I would want, I believe I would need a 2PDT switch. Does any of that logic make sense?…

Update again: I modded my mod. I realized that what I thought was happening wasn’t happening. So, I redesigned it. I now have two switches (SPDT on/on). I have each diode hooked up to a switch. I can now have both diodes on (spec), D1 only, D2 only, or no diodes. I socketed everything, so tomorrow I can swap in the anti-parallel rig…

Attachments

• 0BD84766-6A16-4ED2-A79C-1A5A1498591B.jpeg
    0BD84766-6A16-4ED2-A79C-1A5A1498591B.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 90229AF9-E827-4FCF-8417-30A2A3C5AA68.jpeg
    90229AF9-E827-4FCF-8417-30A2A3C5AA68.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 15
Back