DEMO Poison Apple (Snow White Auto Wah) with some tweaks

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I swapped out a few component values, but I don't have the res def, and the board pictured on the store is different than the one I built. But, here's my description of the swaps-
  • Attack time resistor reduced from 330r to 100r
  • 68n at the input of the peak detector increased to 100n
  • Both 22n filter caps increased to 47n
  • 6.8k resonance limiting resistor decreased to 1k
  • Input and output 1u increased to 2.2u
  • Decay time cap reduced from 2.2u to 1u
The tweaks reflect my love of fat and snappy filters, and stock the SWAW does a pretty good job, but I'm not one to leave well enough alone and had to nudge it a bit. I did have a schematic for the bass version of the SWAW at one point, but no longer seem to have it. I tried my best to remember the values used in that.

This has to be one of my favorite filters because its smooth and easy to dial in- you'd be hard pressed to find a single bad or unusable setting among it's four pots. There isn't a ton of interactivity amongst the pots, but in this case it's definitely not a bad thing, just plug in and go. A lil tweak here or there and you're golden.

I'd say the only thing I dislike about it is the lack of a reverse sweep, but that's not a huge deal, as I've got other filters that do.

I've built a bunch of these over the years, and this is the first I've seen that called for a 100k Decay pot, the others have a 1MC here (including the two GuitarPCB SWAHs I just built). Not an issue for me as I favor short decay times, but others looking for a more swept Wah crying tone type thing might wanna keep that in mind

Being that this is an LPF, I have to say I favor it over the other OTA based envelope filters in the shop. The Waddle and CDXL bring the funk, but don't have the thump this does. And, the Minnow isn't anywhere near as fat sounding even before mods

EDIT- Controls clockwise from left corner- Sensitivity, Bias, Decay, Resonance
c40e0318-2500-4fbb-b554-59d2188b4c04photo.jpeg 93e27ace-855c-4ae3-b3fc-09ba5ca3a1acphoto.jpeg

I threw in some Ring Thing for the Suboctave, as someone had asked about a bass oriented envelope filter semi-recently. My roommate was on a conference call, so hopefully it's loud enough

Definitely recommend this for any fans of filters, guitar or bass. Super quick n easy build, and nothing exotic needed

I swapped out a few component values, but I don't have the res def, and the board pictured on the store is different than the one I built. But, here's my description of the swaps-
  • Attack time resistor reduced from 330r to 100r
  • 68n at the input of the peak detector increased to 100n
  • Both 22n filter caps increased to 47n
  • 6.8k resonance limiting resistor decreased to 1k
  • Input and output 1u increased to 2.2u
  • Decay time cap reduced from 2.2u to 1u
The tweaks reflect my love of fat and snappy filters, and stock the SWAW does a pretty good job, but I'm not one to leave well enough alone and had to nudge it a bit. I did have a schematic for the bass version of the SWAW at one point, but no longer seem to have it. I tried my best to remember the values used in that.

This has to be one of my favorite filters because its smooth and easy to dial in- you'd be hard pressed to find a single bad or unusable setting among it's four pots. There isn't a ton of interactivity amongst the pots, but in this case it's definitely not a bad thing, just plug in and go. A lil tweak here or there and you're golden.

I'd say the only thing I dislike about it is the lack of a reverse sweep, but that's not a huge deal, as I've got other filters that do.

I've built a bunch of these over the years, and this is the first I've seen that called for a 100k Decay pot, the others have a 1MC here (including the two GuitarPCB SWAHs I just built). Not an issue for me as I favor short decay times, but others looking for a more swept Wah crying tone type thing might wanna keep that in mind

Being that this is an LPF, I have to say I favor it over the other OTA based envelope filters in the shop. The Waddle and CDXL bring the funk, but don't have the thump this does. And, the Minnow isn't anywhere near as fat sounding even before mods

EDIT- Controls clockwise from left corner- Sensitivity, Bias, Decay, Resonance
View attachment 47752View attachment 47753

I threw in some Ring Thing for the Suboctave, as someone had asked about a bass oriented envelope filter semi-recently. My roommate was on a conference call, so hopefully it's loud enough

Definitely recommend this for any fans of filters, guitar or bass. Super quick n easy build, and nothing exotic needed
200.gif

Stamped up next to it's GuitarPCB cousins. The middle one is built stock, but the toggle takes the resonance limiter and pot out of the circuit for super aggressive filtering. The left most one is built to the same specs as the Poison Apple, except the Decay pot which is 1MC
orca-image-1639390649.jpeg

Back