SOLVED Powersound Overdrive

A bit of a weirdly specific question - but I've had a bit of a nightmare this one (mostly due to my own hubris) and now have it sort-of working. Initially I could only get bypass signal, and messed up the volume pot somewhere, which I worked out by accidentally touching lug 1 & 2 at the same time with my finger. Eventually I ended up swapping out the pot and now get a distorted signal.

The issue now is that the gain pot doesn't seem to do anything - not in the sense of the circuits normal behaviour where all the dirt is bunched up at the end of the sweep, but instead its all dirty all the time - it basically sounds more like doomy-fuzz than the clean boost-overdrive-light fuzz it should. It also has a very noticeable background hum & oscillation noise (this may just be due to the sheer amount of volume it can put out). The volume, Bass & Treble knobs all work correctly however.

I'm fairly certain that there's a short somewhere because during my ordeal of fixing the volume pot, at one point when my finger was fixing the issue it DID sound correct. At other times it sounded like it does now, but I so was hyperfocused on getting any effected signal at all & I was hoping getting that sorted would fix it. I just don't know quite enough about electronics to determine where the short may be.

I may just try to rewire & replace the gain pot as well, but I figured I'd ask here to see anyone had any thoughts before committing to several more hours of troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance!

Back