PPCB Snozberry Od (One Control Strawberry Red Od)

bluedmc777

Well-known member
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is another one of Bjorn Juhls designs. I’ve really been enjoying his circuits lately. This one has the most parts count of all of them. It’s a nice articulate Od/Distortion pedal. Has a nice amp like touch and feel. It can be used as a straight up clean boost all the way to distortion. However this isn’t my favorite of his circuits…atleast as of this moment. I need to spend more time with it. The tone controls, Treble and Lo Cut, don’t have a large range of motion. I found that a little strange. However the pedal does sound good and I do recommend fans of Bjorns to check it out. I’ll update my thoughts on the pedal once I get a chance to play it more.

IMG_5452.jpeg IMG_5448.jpeg IMG_5451.jpeg
 
FWIW Chuck has done a write up of his mods to this pedal. Maybe that will cast some light on your findings? I think you've done a lovely job of the build.

Thank you my friend. I wish I would’ve known that beforehand. I did have a chance to play it some more last night. I do like it but it certainly isn’t as good as the Royal Blue, Sky Blue, Amber or Pink Purple Fuzz. It has quit a bit of low end which also lends itself to noise with the gain around 2. What it does excel at IMO single note or lead runs with string articulation and clarity.

It’s funny you and I had that discussion regarding led as clippers and somehow every single pedal I’ve almost since then has had LEDs as clippers! Even the Royal Blue uses them. I think you were on the fence about trying that one…I would certainly give it at go even with the LEDs and possibly try other clippers.
 
What guitar are you using the Snozzberry with? It works really well with my Strat - I like it a lot. One of the reasons I was particularly looking forward to building this one was to try it with different clipping diodes from LEDs! A pair of BAT41s works but lately I've been enjoying a BAT41 opposite a 1N4001 in some circuits. I still have an original One Control Strawberry Red OD and the only thing I didn't like was the LED clipping diodes. I couldn't see them inside but you can just tell by the sound that there are LED clippers in there.

I think that might be why the Marshall Jubilee amplifier is one of my least favourite Marshalls. It uses red LEDs for clipping.
 
Back
Top