PT2399 Tap Tempo Mods

kingsfan7205

I built a Transport Device Jr from GuitarPCBMania (should be very similar to Cataclysm from here) and I'm looking to do some mods to it

First I want to add a SPST oscillation switch which seems easy enough doing something similar to this thread https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/magnetron-delay-momentary-feedback-switch.855/

I'm running into issues in my research about adding a tap tempo. I see a few chips available out there but was wondering if people had much experience and any suggestions on which ones to use? I'm fine with just a basic quarter note tap, sub divisions aren't necessary. I've been looking at the Bontempo kit but haven't been able to find any videos using it online or really much discussion either, being able to calibrate seems great, and the modulation to get some wow/flutter seems nice but again not really necessary. All i require is a reliable, well calibrated tap

Anyone have any advice on the options out there for tap tempo?

Several years ago I used the Tone God taptation kit (available on diy stomp boxes, or at least it was). I used the tagboard effects layout for it.

The tap worked well, as far as I can remember. The modulation was a nice tonal addition to my deep blue delay build. I actually built the taptation daughterboard in its own enclosure with a 3.5mm cable to connect to my DBD, so that the DBD could be used on its own.

At some point I harvested parts of the taptation build. I’ve thought of coming back to rebuild it, but I also wrote code for tap tempo on FV-1 (posted on this forum) so when I want tap tempo, I use that.

the Taptation kit was another one I was looking at, the thing that held me back was the tagboard layout has a note at the top basically saying to not use it because there are better ways to do that nowadays for less money.

FV-1 stuff is really interesting, one day I'll take the dive and get into that sort of thing, but for now still just 2399s

Just about any PT2399-based tap-tempo will work, so long as pin 6 from the PT2399 isn't already being used for modulation (IIRC).

If all you need is something basic, you could go with the uk-electronics unit:
or

GuitarPCB's D'Lay is a Rebote-based circuit, so Barry's TapTation PCBs will work:
You'll still need to source the TTG ICs from MUSIKDING or direct from the DIYSTOMPBOXES site; I don't know where-else.

I highly recommend JMK's Taptation PCB offerings, again you'll have to source the Taptation IC set.

I've seen mention of adaptations of Electric Druid's StompLFO Tap Tempo to PT2399 on both Reddit and DIYStompboxes, but have no idea if those attempts were successful or not. Download the Datasheet PDF and see if it's what you need/want.

I ended up going with the Bontempo just because the PCB+ICs were cheaper than the taptation IC alone and the builder sent me some videos of people who used it so I'll report back if it works, otherwise I'll probably do that JMK one.

I'd seen similar threads on the StompLFO (and TapFLO) but also didnt really find anyone talking about results so figured I didn't really want to guinea pig that even though it seems like it should work perfectly fine

Back