Random Questions of a Noob

Zodjeiknights

1) how does one go from building clones of other peoples circuits to creating their own?

2) when you have a dual pedal with different clipping options is it possible to compensate for volume loss in certain modes so the level is even across all modes?

3) has anyone ever designed an overdrive/distortion circuit that utilizes both JFET and MODFET with separate tone and volume control or a blend function to get the exact tone desired?

4) I noticed there is a separate circuit for bypass switching. Is this something you need when building circuits on here or is the switch already part of the design?

Is it possible to find a circuit designed to emulate your favorite amps? For instance I really love the chimey yet not brittle tones of the Fuchs overdrive Supreme clean channel. Is there a circuit that mimicsle?

Thanks for indulging my simple mind as I try and learn this process. Ultimately I'd like to learn enough to start doing amplifiers (tube mostly) and creating my own circuits.

Good questions, I'll give them a shot.

1 ) At least for overdrives, most circuits seem to be based on others, with a few tweaks here and there. They use building blocks of buffers and gain stages, applied with different clipping, filters and tone stacks, in different orders. So learn the building blocks and how they work together would be a good way to go.

2) I never thought this was an issue, as most dual pedals have volume pots for each side, so the user can adjust the levels according to their preferences.

3) Not sure. I've seen jfet based drives, and mosfet based drives. I don't recall seeing them mixed, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some out there, and if not it sounds like an interesting idea to try out.

4). Most of us use true bypass wiring with 3pdt switches. Just check out the build docs for examples. The bypass wiring circuit is if you want something fancier.

Many AIAB (amp in a box) pedals emulate amps by following the circuit and replacing tube stages with jfet stages. See runoffgroove for examples of this.

Last edited:
Back