Resistor values in Muffin Fuzz build.

e_man_89

The PCB for this should be in the mail today. I settled on building the Stomp '75 variant.

In reviewing the build docs, I find that I don't have any 12k's.

They are found at R4, R10, R15, & R21. Along the voltage supply.

I understand that a fuzz circuit can be flexible, but I don't want to get too far away from the model I've chosen.

Some of the other models are calling for 15k's in these locations. My question is; will the 3k increase in resistance at these locations move me away from the Stomp '75 "voice" significantly?

What if I went down a few k ?

Anybody know how much the Stomp '75 and the Mask Us versions differ?

Muffs are confusing because of the number of variants. Probably a lot of the distinct ones came from happy accidents of using what was on stock.

Apparently, the Mask Us is based on a Ram's Head that had some "wrong" values, either from the start or drifting over time, they they should be similar, but maybe different. Hard to know really unless you can A-B them. Small twist of the knob might account for any difference. I doubt my ears would tell the difference, but others who are finicky would. (I've seen J Mascis in concert many times and never once wondered what year his Muff came from or what resistors he had in them :p ).

One way you can address this is socket the resistor values you don't have. In a future order you can get the "right" values and plug them in. Once you've decided which voice you like, solder them into the sockets for posterity.

BTW, I am bad at taking my own advice. Even though I know a small change of component usually doesn't change much in most cases, I do get hung-up on ensuring I have the part the circuit calls for, so I feel for you. If I were worried about it I'd probably fire up an order to get the missing parts, because it would bother me knowing I didn't.

Thanks for your help spi, I appreciate it.
Ok, here's my other deal... I got the PCB today...
An empty PCB will keep me awake at night if I don't go ahead and put it together!

Reactions: spi
I got my Muffin Fuzz going yesterday, went with the Mask Us. Only one resistor value change needed. I put a 470k at R20 instead of the 430k that it calls for. There are a number of the models that use this value at this location. I know resistor values are contextual, but these fuzzes can be flexible.

There's a couple of pics on the build report forum.

Thanks again spi for your help.

Back