Restoring Rocket Sockets

So you guys throw the pedal away if it gets a scratch or a chip

I stopped using decals and clearcoat altogether many years ago because yes, even the slightest imperfection while building and I lose all enthusiasm about the build. I've stripped and refinished a pedal because a piece of dust got in the clearcoat.

What happens after that doesn't really bother me all that much, but before I've even put the lid on? Deal breaker.

Some folks are building with the intentions of selling, and some buyers can be quite picky.

I had a guy ask to cancel his purchase of a brand new in box pedal (not one of my builds) because he saw a glare in the powdercoat and thought it was a blemish.... a blemish, on a pedal....

With that said, I don't think I've ever damaged the finish of a pedal with a socket unless it had rattlecan clearcoat and I was just being absolutely careless. The washer usually prevents a properly sized socket from bottoming out on the enclosure.

My dings usually came while tossing the enclosure around on the bench during assembly. Krylon/Rustoleum clearcoat seems to get messed up if you look at it wrong.

I didn't know these files existed and stumbled onto the ones on Thingiverse.
Thank you for the link! These look fantastic.

Krylon/Rustoleum clearcoat seems to get messed up if you look at it wrong.
What do you use to finish/seal enclosures if not clearcoat? I'd love an alternative as I've also had the same experience with Krylon. Cheers!

What do you use to finish/seal enclosures if not clearcoat? I'd love an alternative as I've also had the same experience with Krylon. Cheers!

I haven't used decals in years. I rarely "finish" pedals these days, but when I do I either use a faceplate or UV printed enclosure.

Back