Reuse Finished Enclosure

joelorigo

I have an "finished" enclosure that I was going to use for a gifted pedal, then the gift-ee requested his own design. I want to use it on a future build. It is black powdered coated and has a water slide decal applied, with several layers of Rustoleum matte clear over the whole thing. I would like to apply a new water slide decal design and re-clear coat. Should I sand off the clear on the face & remove the current decal? Can I apply a new decal on top of that I have? Would I sand first if I did that? Anyone have any experience like this?

IMO: Applying a new decal over the top of an existing finish will depend on the waterslide material. Using clear-backed decal stock would not work well. Also, laying a new waterslide over the top of a finished enclosure would likely not turn out as nice as a freshly sanded surface. Problem with sanding off the old decal is that it will also mar the black powder coat. Personally, I'd build a duplicate of the original circuit and stuff the already finished enclosure with that and sell it or use myself.

....and sell it...
About that option. It is the Mahayna and the enclosure looks exactly like the one linked below. Could I sell one? I've never looked into what is legal and not legal about selling.

IMO: Applying a new decal over the top of an existing finish will depend on the waterslide material. Using clear-backed decal stock would not work well. Also, laying a new waterslide over the top of a finished enclosure would likely not turn out as nice as a freshly sanded surface. Problem with sanding off the old decal is that it will also mar the black powder coat.
I see. I wouldn't necessarily mind if I marred the powder coat, maybe, most of the face would be covered with a new white water slide, similar to the Mahayana linked above.

It's not what you asked, but in a slightly different direction, I've found that stripping the powder off of an enclosure generally reveals a nicely prepped surface that takes polishing quite well.

It's not what you asked, but in a slightly different direction, I've found that stripping the powder off of an enclosure generally reveals a nicely prepped surface that takes polishing quite well.
Interesting idea! I've never done it but I've seen some great looking polished enclosure on this forum.

Interesting idea! I've never done it but I've seen some great looking polished enclosure on this forum.
It can be a lot of work, depending on the tools you have available, but most of it is in the prep, and yeah, the results can be gorgeous.

About that option. It is the Mahayna and the enclosure looks exactly like the one linked below. Could I sell one? I've never looked into what is legal and not legal about selling.

It's not like you're putting that into production and trying to sell 100s of them. I'm sure @Robert is okay with you building one or even a bunch of Mahayna pedals and selling it/them peer-to-peer. It gets his brand out there.
Just don't misrepresent it in anyway.

Now if you took Hermida's chosen font, name and graphic and started selling "Joe's Zendrive" ... I'm sure you'd be hearing from some lawyers posthaste.

Not many circuits are patented, (some are) but for the ones that are patentless we can copy them. However, the circuit's layout, the pedal's cover-art and its name are all copyrighted or trademarked — so we must pave our own roads (PCB-traces) to get the signal from A>B and not copy others' roadmaps/layouts etc.

That's just my layman's understanding of most of the world's legal concept regarding pedal copies.
You can find many other threads on the legalities of cloning and selling, elsewhere.

Personally, typically, I don't copy the original pedal's name or art, even if only for personal use. I'd rather come up with something that's either a tip-o-the-hat to the original or completely different and unrelated.

Back