Risk with fake ICs

sticky1138

I impulsively bought a pack of MN3027s on eBay for $5 since the clones at all the reputable places are sold out for months. These are from Hong Kong, but the seller seems potentially credible based on feedback and number of sales.

Anyone have experience using dubious ICs? Are there any risks involved with testing these in my build if they are fake? I don't want to fry my project or anything. And will I be able to tell audibly if they are real or not?

Most fake ICs in my experience just don't work - it hasn't been a difference of sound quality for me personally, just an either or thing. Plenty of fakes are just shittier quality and will "work". I wouldn't use a voltage regulator that I was suspect of, but beyond that I'm not knowledgeable enough to say much more.

More broadly though, if you can handle the slow shipping speed of ordering components from China (assuming you're in the US) most of the retailers that are on eBay are also on AliExpress, and the reviews on AliExpress are much more prominent and useful than the review system on eBay, by miles. I've been burned few and far between but I've also never been too upset about a gamble on something 75¢ shipped.

Good tip on using AliExpress.

I was able to find a reputable chip from a U.S. seller for a higher price, but now I'm just curious if I got duped on the eBay ones or not. If they aren't expected to cause harm I'd like to try them out.

Back