SOLVED Sabbath Distortion Quiet when Pedal is turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rcmatz

Hey All,

Accidentally learned a great toubleshooting tip today, but now I need some help. I had a boost after this pedal, with everything cranked, I was able to hear sound, but not really any of the effect I expect from the pedal. Any tips or thoughts on what might be going wrong?
I'm guessing some sort of short?
Thanks for looking!

Randy

20210826_171822New.jpg 20210826_172011.jpg

Reactions: fig
Darn you! and... Thank you!
I reviewed the forum and was aware of the issue.
I tested to make sure I knew for sure which pins were emitter and collector.
I reviewed the board layout and traces to make sure I knew for sure which was the emitter / collector
I waited a day, I insulated the lead
I followed my diagram exactly
I had 2 diagrams, I followed the one right below, which I knew yesterday was wrong....

Removed, swapped, working.

Thanks again!

I hope you enjoy a chuckle at my expense in compensation.

Randy

Hey there. I have the exact same issue and I got my BC184LC(Fairchild) from Tada. Which way do I need to re-arrange the transistor leads?

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind...I found the other thread with the correct pin arrangement. Hope this solves my prob!

EDIT: Yup! This indeed solved the issue! Woohoo!

~Troy

Last edited:
Putting the answer down so that if someone else comes through they see it. To Re-state what others have in other threads. The board expects the pinout for BC184. Tayda sells BC184L. If you take the BC184L, protect it with heat shrink tubing (or some other method, and bend pin 1 so that it becomes pin 3

Board Expects

bc184-pinout.jpg
Tayda Version
bc184l-pinout.jpg

Modified Tayda Version

bc184l-pinout change.jpg

When installed, flat face should face towards capacitors and away from resistors that it is in between.

Attachments

• bc184l-pinout.jpg
    bc184l-pinout.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2
  • bc184l-pinout change.jpg
    bc184l-pinout change.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom