Schematic/Wiring for A/B + C Loop Switcher?

I'm basically looking to build this: https://www.americanloopers.com/col...-a-or-b-then-add-loop-c-with-premium-switches

That page doesn't have a photo anymore for some reason, but they look like this:

ABYLoopSwitcherCombinerAmericanLoopersABYLOP1_1024x1024.jpg

So the left side switch toggles between either A or B loop (e.g. clean and dirty), and the right switch C can be added/cascaded on top of the A/B (e.g. add modulation and delay to the A/B).

I've been searching all over the web for a guide or wiring diagram of how to make this, but I'm not savvy enough to expand from just an A/B diagram and add the togglable C switch on top of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'd build it with switching jacks so that if nothing is plugged into "B", for example, the signal still gets passed on to loop "C" bypass switch.

If you're not going to have bypass, wire up the pedal as per the right footswitch here (IN-Jack directly to Lug 2):
1 4 7
2 5 8
3 6 9

Take the signal from lug 8 directly to the Loop C bypass switch... ahh, here, easier to show than describe:

A-B&C w & w:o master bypass.png

Ground wiring not shown, LEDs on Switches not shown, switching-jacks not shown.

I'd build it with switching jacks so that if nothing is plugged into "B", for example, the signal still gets passed on to loop "C" bypass switch.

If you're not going to have bypass, wire up the pedal as per the right footswitch here (IN-Jack directly to Lug 2):
1 4 7
2 5 8
3 6 9

Take the signal from lug 8 directly to the Loop C bypass switch... ahh, here, easier to show than describe:

View attachment 25429

FF... What software did you use to make this drawing?

FF... What software did you use to make this drawing?
DIYLC

Great program made even greater by finally having a computer that can run the latest version instead of an antique laptop that could barely run the program's great great great great great grandfather.

Oh, and it's FREE (but you should donate something if you end up liking and using it).

Last edited:
I know ground loops can sometimes be an issue in loop switchers so (in the absence of a ground plane on a PCB) you might want to run separate grounds for everything to a single point rather than daisy chaining it all together.

DIYLC

Great program made even greater by finally having a computer that can run the latest version instead of an antique laptop that could barely run the program's great great great great great grandfather.

Oh, and it's FREE (but you should donate something if you end up liking and using it).
thank you. Trying it out now. So far, excellent!

1 4 7
2 5 8
3 6 9

View attachment 25429

Thank you so much @Feral Feline!!! I've been out of town for work for the past month and I'm just now able to see your reply. I've been wanting to build one of these for so long and attempted to figure out the wiring on my own based on other loop switchers but I could never figure it out. I'm still very new to the design side of pedals.

I hate to ask this after you already put in the time and effort to make this schematic for me, but if I Venmo or PayPal you some money for your work and time, could you add the wiring required to include four LED's (two at the A/B that will toggle for A or B, one at the C, and another for the master bypass) and the 9V connection for powering it?

Again, I want to pay your for this - I don't want to come off as greedy or taking advantage of your kindness. Or, if you're busy with other things it's not a big deal by any means if ya can't get to it.

Thank you again.

The 3PDT switches have 9 leads but as you can see, the diagram only uses 6 each. You can use the other 3 to wire LEDs to power (with current limiting resistor). I don’t have a way to send a diagram readily available. I recommend learning how these switches work since they are used everywhere for pedals.

Edit: stewmac has a decent guide on the topic.

I'm basically looking to build this: https://www.americanloopers.com/col...-a-or-b-then-add-loop-c-with-premium-switches

That page doesn't have a photo anymore for some reason, but they look like this:

So the left side switch toggles between either A or B loop (e.g. clean and dirty), and the right switch C can be added/cascaded on top of the A/B (e.g. add modulation and delay to the A/B).

I've been searching all over the web for a guide or wiring diagram of how to make this, but I'm not savvy enough to expand from just an A/B diagram and add the togglable C switch on top of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
$100 for that is crazy! The parts would cost $15 and assembly should take a few minutes. Maybe I should sell some of those online :)

@laundryman
I'll try to fill out the rest of the ground wiring & LEDs etc, no need to pay anything — this is DIY!

On that note (DIY), there is a lot to what Giovanni said — in time you'll get to know how to wire up a 3PDT — there are multiple ways to do the same durn thang! — and come to have a favourite way of doing it.

Meanwhile, to help get you started (and cement in my own mind how to do it), as mentioned I'll try to flesh out the diagram.

You want the triple footswitch version that includes master-bypass?
Do you want bi-colour LEDs?
Switching jacks?

I should have time to do it Monday (weekend's already a right-off).

I'll be watching this thread. I want to build a pedal that merges my guitar signal with my reverb unit, which only outputs the reverb.

Been busy, haven't done it yet, but still no word back from @laundryman on which version etc...

To reiterate:
Triple footswitch version that includes master-bypass, or?
Regular or bi-colour LEDs?
Switching jacks?
This looks pretty cool, I've been thinking about building a "proper" pedal board instead of the rats nest on my desk. Been thinking about a loop switcher like what you've diagrammed (so graciously!). But I'd want to wire one (or maybe 2) of the loops with an input and output buffer and the 3rd loop True Bypass. Hmmm.....and maybe a tuner send. Maybe using the "Simple JFet Buffer" boards. I have a couple of these that I haven't gotten around to using in anything yet.

Something like EQD Pedalboard Reconciler but without the boost.

I'll be watching this thread. I want to build a pedal that merges my guitar signal with my reverb unit, which only outputs the reverb.
You can't do that with passive wiring. You are gonna need some sort of mixer. Maybe something like this. I have that board but I never built it because I didn't want to deal with all the off-board wiring. There is also the EHX parallel mixer which I believe Robert was tracing at some point.

You can't do that with passive wiring. You are gonna need some sort of mixer. Maybe something like this. I have that board but I never built it because I didn't want to deal with all the off-board wiring. There is also the EHX parallel mixer which I believe Robert was tracing at some point.
I see.

The issue is my Surfybear build eats high end and volume (like a vintage Fender reverb unit). I've seen a mod somewhere to fix it directly in the unit but it went right over my head. I have modded it to output the reverb only so I can mix it with the bypassed sound without phasing issues.

I'm just trying to avoid buying a Boss LS-2 :)

Been busy, haven't done it yet, but still no word back from @laundryman on which version etc...

To reiterate:
Triple footswitch version that includes master-bypass, or?
Regular or bi-colour LEDs?
Switching jacks?
Hey @Feral Feline

Thanks so much for following up. Sorry for my absence, work has been unforgiving lately.

Here's what I'm looking for:

• No master bypass; two switches total (like this) (I decided against the master bypass because I'm really trying to fit this into a 1590B enclosure). So the left switch is to switch between A or B, and the right switch is to Add C onto the A/B (such as A or B being clean or dirty, then C being modulation to add on top)
  • Regular LEDs
  • I'm not entirely sure what switching jacks are for as I've never (knowingly) used them. I googled it and from what I understand it might not be necessary for me
So in summary I'm basically trying to make this:

I'm finally free from work for a bit so I'll be much more active on here.

Thank you again for all of this. This community kicks ass.

Hey @laundryman, I hear you!
Life sometimes (too often) gets in the way of us building pedals.

I thought I'd have time to work on the diagram, but a car-friend had some "free" time open up in his schedule, so I had to drop all things pedal related, too. I've had a few minutes per night to unwind by hitting the forum here. The rest of the last week...

We've been going gangbusters on re-spritzing my Mom's car for her birthday.

Back