Seabed Delay (clone of Deep Blue Delay)

psb962

For this week's build I went with the Seabed delay as I was hoping it would replace my expensive DM-2W (the sale of which will buy enough components to build about 4 pedals). I'm not disappointed. I got the PT2399 from Tayda for $0.79 and it works great, so no problems there. Overall, the build uses a lot of components (40+) in a small pcb so this made me focus hard on getting the soldering right first time. I found a couple of issues where the stubs from two adjacent components were touching but these were fixed by cutting the stubs closer to the board. Extensive use of blu tack to hold the offboard wiring in place while soldering really sped things up, and I even put the LED in the right way round. I did find that the Tayda enclosure hole for the LED is a bit tight for a 5mm LED so I opened it out with a drill.

As usual, I found that I didn't have stock of one component - C16, a 15nF cap, so I tested some ancient poly caps I had in a drawer and found an 18nF one that tested as 16nF, so in it went.

It worked perfectly on power up, so here it is. I don't recommend using black letters on this shade of blue paint as you can't read it in poor light. Nevertheless its a very nice delay, easy to use, and so its bye-bye Wazacraft DM-2W...
PXL_20240220_015450168.jpg PXL_20240220_014910789.jpg

How are were you typically using your DM-2w, now Seabed?

Did you put them side by side and compare?

Just curious. I also recently built a Seabed, with the possibility of replacing my DM-2w. I love the DM-2w, I didn't want to replace it for any reason other than having my board populated with my DIY builds. Anyway, I generally use the DM-2w for always-on, set to subtle slapback. My Seabed build got really close, but there was still "something" about the DM-2w that I preferred. I would have chalked it up to me being neurotic, but my good friend (also a guitarist) just happened to be there when I was doing the side-by-side testing. He also gave the nod to the Boss. This is admittedly splitting the finest of hairs, and gained up (even just a bit) and/or in a band mix, there'd be no way to notice a difference.

Reactions: spi
How are were you typically using your DM-2w, now Seabed?

Did you put them side by side and compare?

Just curious. I also recently built a Seabed, with the possibility of replacing my DM-2w. I love the DM-2w, I didn't want to replace it for any reason other than having my board populated with my DIY builds. Anyway, I generally use the DM-2w for always-on, set to subtle slapback. My Seabed build got really close, but there was still "something" about the DM-2w that I preferred. I would have chalked it up to me being neurotic, but my good friend (also a guitarist) just happened to be there when I was doing the side-by-side testing. He also gave the nod to the Boss. This is admittedly splitting the finest of hairs, and gained up (even just a bit) and/or in a band mix, there'd be no way to notice a difference.
I haven't done a side by side yet, but like you I aim to have all my pedals be DIY, so I have a compressor and Muff sitting idle as well as the DM-2W...

After about a year of building pedals and primarily playing through diy stuff, I recently took my dm2-w out of the drawer along with some other boss stuff and really enjoyed it. I’m glad I hung onto it.

Nice looking build!

Back