Shaka, When The Walls Fell! Madbean Edgelord Build

peccary

I posted this over on the MB forum but wanted to post it here as well, especially since I posted a troubleshooting thread about it here and had some folks help me out!

I have been piecing this pedal together for a few months now. Not because there are a bunch of hard to find parts, but because I *continually* missed ordering the parts for it. It probably took me three or four Tayda orders before I remembered everything, finally.

I was working on the artwork for a different pedal and had the idea to do something Star Trek related since I'm a big fan, but none of my ideas were coming out. I then remembered one of my favorite episodes of TNG where the Enterprise meets a lifeform their universal translator doesn't work for because they speak in metaphors from their culture and history. Picard gives the example of "Juliette on the balcony" to mean love, that kind of thing.

"Shaka, when the walls fell," was their term for failure, and I thought it was a pretty good description for what was going on for me.

Add to that the issue I had troubleshooting this pedal because I made a simple, dumb mistake, and it just comes full circle - like it was meant to be!

This was a fun build, and one of the more challenging ones with the number of components and breakout board. I feel really good about completing this one. Had I paid a little better attention when making resistors it would have come off without a hitch, but I'm glad I made a mistake as it help to improve my troubleshooting skills.

This pedal sounds great on bass, by the way. I really love Synth 1 with the long decay and how it gets a bit distorted at some settings. The auto Wah also sounds great as well and I didn't think I'd like it much. Synth 2 is a bit thin and probably won't be used much, but I'm glad it works.

Here's a couple photos. I'll get a sound clip in the next day or two:

image000000.jpg image000001.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, folks. I appreciate it!

After I took those photos I spent about 45 minutes trying to get the knobs right. These are the 9mm pots with the push on shafts. I bought the little adapters, but the knobs were still all cockeyed. It took quite a bit of trial and error to get them *mostly* straight!

Also, that film cap on the top left has been driving me crazy not being lined up with the rest. I almost flipped it when fixing the resistor but figured it would make me officially nutso if I did.

I made a few sound clips with this pedal tonight. This pedal really deserves a knob twisting demo with a loop, but I don't have the ability to synch video and audio. Instead I just picked some settings I liked and played a little bit (here's where I should apologize for my terrible playing!). All of these were also recorded with long decat, because when you flip this thing to short decay it becomes one of the most obnoxious pedals on the planet. Very honky and unpredictable. You can get good sounds out of it, especially in the wah mode, but I much prefer the long decay in almost all situations.

All demos were recorded with my 2003 American P bass with a Fralin pickup using TI flats.

Wah - I really like the sound of the auto wah on this pedal, but I have no idea how to use one effectively so I just played a quick riff from CAKE. The rez, syns, and greq controls are very interactive on all modes on this pedal, and the wah goes from fat and blooming "BBLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHOOOO" to harsh and tinny.

Synth 1 - this is my favorite as it has aspects of the wah within it, it seems, but it can get pretty wild. Honestly my favorite part of it is the distortion which to my ears sounds pretty warm and soft and never washes out the bass which is pretty rare. I took two takes with this one - one with just the Edgelord and the other with the same exact settings only with a little bit of delay afterwards, which I think really sounds great.

Synth 2 - I left the settings the same as I had on Synth 2 just to give a somewhat even comparison. There are much better sounds to be had in Synth 2, but none that rival Synth 1, at least to my ears.

I know these aren't great, but I feel like sound clips are hard to come by for a lot of DIY pedals, in particular bass ones, so I will try to put up even terrible sound samples from now on, just for anyone looking for a point of reference.

Back