DEMO SheepMaster Rangemaster Boost - a szukalski board!

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
@szukalski was kind enough to send me some of his SheepMaster treble booster boards via JLCPCB!

So second "forumite" build report for today.

Super simple board and well laid out. Some really nice touches like the "courtesy I/o pads" at the top of the board to simplify wiring.
Also, he used the PedalPCB convention for the off board wiring pads at the bottom so makes it easy to use the PPCB breakout boards.

This might be the best range master type of pedal I've played yet. It's got a lot of clean boost available but also a lot of dirty boost on tap.
Typically the Ringmasters I've built have a bit too much dirt for me. But this design has a nice curve from clean to mean!
Tons of volume and a lot of low end available.

@szukalski recommending going direct from the guitar into the pedal before anything else as the pedal "loads" the pickups. I'm not exactly sure what that means but there's definitely a different sound between running it as my first effect or running it after my buffered tuner and buffered compressor.

It's maybe a bit more "polite" running it after the compressor, and I found I actually preferred it that way as it was more flexible.
Running it as the first pedal definitely has a more gnarly-ness to it which is pretty cool.
Man, there are some really talented folks on this forum, I love it!
Looking forward to his next batch of boards!

I used a GT321b Russian PNP with gains of 103 Hfe.
Also used one of the SmallBear Analogman overrun 1590B enclosures.

IMG_4450.JPG

IMG_4449.JPG

Testing the pedal I was having a blast seeing how it boosted other drive pedals and amp settings.
I tried to recreate that in the demo I recorded.

From right to left:
SheepMaster
Boss OD-1 (Aion Corona)
Boss SD-1 (PPCB Uber Drive)
Providence SOV2 Stampede (PPCB Bullrush)
Greer Black Mountain Crunch (PPCB Precipice Drive)
Timbre Man (HamishR/Chuck D. Bones/MattG)
Barbershop (PPCB Chop Shop)

At the end of the demo I switched to an already overdriven amp model (TrainWreck style) and pushed it with the Sheepy.

Thanks @szukalski !!

Sounds great, mate! Lovely build and some great stacks in the demo. Pretty much how I use mine most of the time, maybe more gain but I am a gain machine.. I love it going into an Aphrodite, I should really try it into a Klon to see it works as well.
Ahhh, I've got to get that Aphrodite built, it's been sitting too long.....hahaha

Sounds great. With the Timbre Man and more gain it became a bit bassy. I prefer in this case to set the Range pot to 2 o'clock or higher. That shaves off the mud.

Sounds awesome!

I totally missed the bias pad with silk screened voltage in the other thread. Yet another great idea!
Any great ideas are shamelessly stolen (learned?) from Mr PPCB himself. I haven't found any usability tweak which isn't evident on his boards.
Sounds great. With the Timbre Man and more gain it became a bit bassy. I prefer in this case to set the Range pot to 2 o'clock or higher. That shaves off the mud.
That's what I find so practical with this circuit, it goes so well with so many other pedals because you can tune that frequency response right at the start of the signal.

Wow - this is very cool! Is it like a Red Rooster? I love treble boosters too - just built myself a mash-up of a Red Rooster and Keeley Java Boost. It uses a PNP transistor but with a negative ground. It's very simple and sounds great. Right now I have a 2N3906 in there and it sounds amazing!

I like this PCB, like the build - what's not to like? Top work everyone! Much respect to sheep love.

Wow - this is very cool! Is it like a Red Rooster?
Yeah, it's just a PNP Red Rooster with negative ground. NPN is a lot pricier than PNP to source and low gain PNP works well enough..

That said, Chuck's GeFET boost does a pretty grand job of being a treble booster with a lot less noise!

Back