Six String Stinger - incorrect C11 value printed on PCB

youngkong10

I recently built a six string stinger and I used smd j201's from the pedalpcb website, everything sounded close to correct but the filter knob was unusable for 90% of the sweep. I found another forum post from a while ago stating that C11 should be 22nf instead of 2.2nf and it was apparently marked as such in previous versions of the pcb. This value change eradicated some hard clipping issues I was having as well as the usability of the filter knob (and also increased total output volume) making the pedal sound much closer to its vertex counterpart. I just thought I should let everyone know that this issue exists and can be easily fixed.

There was some confusion about this in the past...

The correct values (verified from a Steel String and Steel String Supreme) are:
C11 - 2n2
C12 - 22n

There was some confusion about this in the past...

The correct values (verified from a Steel String and Steel String Supreme) are:
C11 - 2n2
C12 - 22n
Oh okay! That's interesting because those were the values I had originally. With those values I was having some hard clipping issues and a very dark tone sweep for the first 75% of the filter knob. Any ideas what could have been causing this?

What exactly do you mean by hard clipping issues?

From a friend who has the original I know that the filter knob does in fact act the way you describe. It's a poorly chosen tonestack for the very bass mu amp circuit and funnily enough the filter knob's position is next to invisible due to the little black "knob".

What exactly do you mean by hard clipping issues?

From a friend who has the original I know that the filter knob does in fact act the way you describe. It's a poorly chosen tonestack for the very bass mu amp circuit and funnily enough the filter knob's position is next to invisible due to the little black "knob".
When I was some lower output single coils I didn't get any clipping no matter how hard I could strum, but with some slightly higher output custom shop pickups I would get a distinct hard clipping crackle when I strummed hard. This issue is seemingly gone with the C11 value change I did. Thanks for the information thought I appreciate it.

That's weird, as the filter values have nothing to do with the amount of gain or breakup the circuit has... Maybe the darker filter suppressed it?

Nothing stopping you from modding and tweaking any established pedal though. Just because people buy into the hype of something it doesn't mean it couldn't be better. ;)

Back