Six String Stinger - missing output and too dark

ntuncer

Hello,

I have an issue with my Six String Stinger build. I have already searched in the forum and see that there are others who have the same issue. When I compare with the original one, output is missing, when I dimmed volume and gain it is still less than original volume and gain 12 o'clock. It is too dark, too much bass even filter is all the way up. Could you please help me to solve the issue? By the way C12 is 22nf in my build as it is the correct value.

Q values:

Q
D
S
G
Q1​
8.86v​
5.01v​
4.06v​
Q2​
5.01v​
0.46v​
0v​
Q3​
8.86v​
4.90v​
4.06v​
Q4​
4.90v​
0.55v​
0v

Cheers

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
On your First build, you said that with Volume & Gain at maximum was less than Unity.
My Reply was that mine was at Unity which means when pedal is On or ByPassed, Volume at 9.00 & Gain at 12.00 O'clock.
That is with all the Resistors & Caps as written on the PCB.
If you have built this Second pedal, Did you have the same Volume issue, Something is not adding up.
As I have requested before ''Pictures Are Worth A Thousand Words''
Post Pictures of PCB with good photo of the Resistors & Capacitors, Footswitch & Input, Output Jacks!
Yes I have the same volume issue as the first build with the caps and resistor values on the pcb. I will add the new build photos asap when I back home.

For all the components , resistors, pots I have already measured with DMM and this time I am pretty sure that they are fine. I used directly pcb values but I am not sure about C11 2n2 value. It makes the sound too dark and other schematics including the old pedalpcb version, C11 value is 22n.
other schematics including the old pedalpcb version, C11 value is 22n.
If you look at those same schematics, you will see C12 is 2n2 ????

other schematics including the old pedalpcb version, C11 value is 22n.
If you look at those same schematics, you will see C12 is 2n2 ????
Yes C11 is 22n and C12 is 2n2. When I searched in the forum there is an explication of C12 value which has to be 22n but couldn't find something about C11. When I swapped C11 to 22n, I have a more logical Tone control range which sound seems same as original according to the demo videos I listened on YouTube. At least solve the darkness issue.

Here are the photos of new build. Here C11 is 22n, R8 and R14 are 5k (10k diodes soldered parallel under the pcb) and old schematic which C11 is 22n:
1650558878208.png

Attachments

• 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 9
I also just finished building this pedal after buying the kit from musikding, and I have exactly the same problem. I'm basically playing with all pots maxed out in order to have enough output and not too dark. I'll try to swap C11 to 22n and R8 and R14 to 5k.

@claudio, It's in the build document on the PCB-purchase page of the circuit.
PEDALPCB SIX STRING STINGER.png

Then cross reference the above build-doc with the purchase-page's pic/and/or PCB itself:

SixStringStinger.jpg

Usually the board is correct, but I'd just socket it and try both then solder in the one I prefer, or if there's enough of a difference and both are good, I'll throw 'em on a switch.

Back