Six String Stinger - missing output and too dark

ntuncer

Hello,

I have an issue with my Six String Stinger build. I have already searched in the forum and see that there are others who have the same issue. When I compare with the original one, output is missing, when I dimmed volume and gain it is still less than original volume and gain 12 o'clock. It is too dark, too much bass even filter is all the way up. Could you please help me to solve the issue? By the way C12 is 22nf in my build as it is the correct value.

Q values:

Q
D
S
G
Q1​
8.86v​
5.01v​
4.06v​
Q2​
5.01v​
0.46v​
0v​
Q3​
8.86v​
4.90v​
4.06v​
Q4​
4.90v​
0.55v​
0v

Cheers

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
It seems like unity volume, more gain, more bass but way less volume than after R15 junction.
I measure every Resistor & Capacitor with a DMM before fitting, also Diodes!!!
Can you remove C11 - 2n2 400, that seems to be a problem area and measure for capacitance.
If that is bad, you will have to change the other 2n2 400 also!

R16 seems to be an issue as well but do the Cap first!!!

Can you remove C11 - 2n2 400, that seems to be a problem area and measure for capacitance.

I will do and write the result here but the bad news is I don't have any 2n2s to replace in case they are not working.

Hi, finally I received the new caps and removed the C11. I read 2.45nf with my DDM. It seems fine right?

Turn the Filter knob fully CCW and measure , should be around 19.5K?
Turn fully Clockwise, should be around 18.75K?
If it's within this range, it is working as it should.
Did you swap out the 2n2 for the replacement?

Turn the Filter knob fully CCW and measure , should be around 19.5K?
Turn fully Clockwise, should be around 18.75K?
If it's within this range, it is working as it should.
Did you swap out the 2n2 for the replacement?
I read R-16 with Filter knob all the way down 19.94K, all the way up 18.37K.

Hello again @music6000, I couldn't resist and built from scratch a new one but this time I use pedalpcb j201s (smd already soldered ones) and measured everything before starting but I have the same result. I am pretty sure with my build now but there is something really odd. When I checked other schematics, I saw that C11 is always 22n so I swapped it, now filter is more usable no more darkness but I couldn't find at all why I don't have the output. Should I reduce R14 to increase the volume?

Mind telling what your test setup is and what parts you reused for the new build?
Everything is new, totally new build. I tested everything before mounting diode is included. Everything is measured and correct values. If I reduce R8 and R14 to 5k, I have unity gain volume at 9, gain at 12 o'clock. C12 has to be 22n but what about C11 value? should it be 2n2 or 22n? Any idea?

Everything is new, totally new build. I tested everything before mounting diode is included. Everything is measured and correct values. If I reduce R8 and R14 to 5k, I have unity gain volume at 9, gain at 12 o'clock. C12 has to be 22n but what about C11 value? should it be 2n2 or 22n? Any idea?
This is what Values should be:
Six String Stinger PCB.jpg
If you are having a Volume issue it must be a Resistor value is Incorrect or the Pot is wrong or Defective!
One coloured stripe is all it takes to go from 1ohm to 10M, 22ohm to 2M2, 47ohm to 4M7!
10K = Brown, Black, Black, Red, Brown
1M = Brown, Black Black, Yellow, Brown
22k = Red, Red, Black, Red, Brown
2M2 = Red, Red, Black, Yellow, Brown

This is what Values should be:
View attachment 25511
If you are having a Volume issue it must be a Resistor value is Incorrect or the Pot is wrong or Defective!
One coloured stripe is all it takes to go from 1ohm to 10M, 22ohm to 2M2, 47ohm to 4M7!
10K = Brown, Black, Black, Red, Brown
1M = Brown, Black Black, Yellow, Brown
22k = Red, Red, Black, Red, Brown
2M2 = Red, Red, Black, Yellow, Brown
For all the components , resistors, pots I have already measured with DMM and this time I am pretty sure that they are fine. I used directly pcb values but I am not sure about C11 2n2 value. It makes the sound too dark and other schematics including the old pedalpcb version, C11 value is 22n.

Look, we're trying to help and it would be good to figure out what are the constants and variables with the pedal not working. Have you also replace all the jacks, switch etc?

And please, what are you playing through? I personally use modelling software most of the time and the true volume of some pedals sometimes doesn't reflect what you get through an actual amp for example.

Look, we're trying to help and it would be good to figure out what are the constants and variables with the pedal not working. Have you also replace all the jacks, switch etc?

And please, what are you playing through? I personally use modelling software most of the time and the true volume of some pedals sometimes doesn't reflect what you get through an actual amp for example.
Thanks for having time to help me and tried to understand the situation. I am really glad for that and if I am understood differently sorry about it.
I really built it from scratch. all the parts and components are new, jacks switches etc. As @music6000 mentioned before as a good practice, I measured this time everything with DMM to be sure that it is fine and also I used pedapcb j201s to make sure that they are good quality ones.

For the testing, I use real amp with a speaker cab and audio probe to understand what is wrong. My benchmark is to have unity gain between input and output of the pedal with volume at 9 , gain at 12 o'clock as a reference of @music6000. After finishing the new build, I observe that there is a low output and it is also too dark like my first build. Then I did the whole measurements which are mentioned as troubleshooting and I find that all of the values are almost same. For the darkness, I swapped the C11 2n2 to 22n and now Treble pot is working more logically. For the lack of volume, I just reduce R8 and R14 to 5k (10k resistors soldered in parallel) to solve and now I have a unity gain with volume at 9 , gain at 12 o'clock.

Thanks for having time to help me and tried to understand the situation. I am really glad for that and if I am understood differently sorry about it.
I really built it from scratch. all the parts and components are new, jacks switches etc. As @music6000 mentioned before as a good practice, I measured this time everything with DMM to be sure that it is fine and also I used pedapcb j201s to make sure that they are good quality ones.

For the testing, I use real amp with a speaker cab and audio probe to understand what is wrong. My benchmark is to have unity gain between input and output of the pedal with volume at 9 , gain at 12 o'clock as a reference of @music6000. After finishing the new build, I observe that there is a low output and it is also too dark like my first build. Then I did the whole measurements which are mentioned as troubleshooting and I find that all of the values are almost same. For the darkness, I swapped the C11 2n2 to 22n and now Treble pot is working more logically. For the lack of volume, I just reduce R8 and R14 to 5k (10k resistors soldered in parallel) to solve and now I have a unity gain with volume at 9 , gain at 12 o'clock.
On your First build, you said that with Volume & Gain at maximum was less than Unity.
My Reply was that mine was at Unity which means when pedal is On or ByPassed, Volume at 9.00 & Gain at 12.00 O'clock.
That is with all the Resistors & Caps as written on the PCB.
If you have built this Second pedal, Did you have the same Volume issue, Something is not adding up.
As I have requested before ''Pictures Are Worth A Thousand Words''
Post Pictures of PCB with good photo of the Resistors & Capacitors, Footswitch & Input, Output Jacks!

Back