Skreddy Screwdriver

DeadAirMD

I have a PRS Custom 24 08 that I absolutely adore. I'm able to play it better than any of the other guitars I own. Problem is, it is the most insanely honkiest guitar I've ever played, when played using overdrive. Tried EQ pedal, changing pickup height, changing action, settings on amp. After reading other posts online, seems to be the nature of some of these guitars, unfortunately for me.

While I'm considering changing pickups, I built a Skreddy Screwdriver, and that changed everything. The honkiness is mostly gone and the tones I get out of this circuit are so much fun to play. I understand it's maybe a low gain tuned fuzz face, with a mosfet treble booster, and low pass filter.

Any other recommendations for circuits that are similar or in the same vain as this? I'm considering building a fuzz face and combining it with my Range Finder and a blend knob pcb I have in the mean time.

I almost would prefer to use pedals like this to get the tone I want, because the chime-like bell tones I get from the higher strings are heavenly, and it would be hard to give that up. Definitely in a pickle.

As for possible pickups, was thinking a SD Jazz in the neck and Custom 5 in the bridge, if I decide to go down that road.

The Screwdriver (MBP Cosmopolitan) is f*cking amazing. I just finished one not long ago as well. I don’t really have any good recommendations, but you can always build a fuzz factory clone (I just built an MBP Chaos Agent and was pleasantly surprised) and maybe pull some similar tones

Yeah man, totally was just a random buy for me. The build doc says that it's been a staple on his board, so I was definitely interested. Majorly pleasantly surprised, it sounds SO damn good!

Try the Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver. It's very close to the Screwdriver, and was traced here.

Then there's the all silicon Lunar Module. Two heavier silicon boosted Fuzz Face /Tone Bender types with high / low filtering that I've liked are the Basic Audio Scarab and MI Audio Gi Fuzz

Big thumbs up for the SD Jazz in the neck! Excellent pickup. The Custom 5 (sh-14) is one of the few I have never used, But a 59' with more output cant be a bad thing..

You might actually want to try a lower wind bridge HB if you want to reduce the honk. The bonus is that you get better treble response and clarity as well as reduced mids.

The Screwdriver is fantastic as you have discovered. The Lunar Module would be a no-brainer to try as it's very similar but has its own flavour.

The Nobels OD might be worth a try. The Protein Green is a good example. It has less mid-honk than most ODs. I always thought the idea of a PRS was to get that mid-honk though - That's kinda what they are famous for!

Back