Small Fry/Tater Tot EQ circuit function

Tone control is just a simple RC low pass filter where the pot changes the R and thus the cutoff frequency. You could change C5 so that the tone pot works over a different range.

I'm not familiar w that exact setup for bass and mid, but it seems like changing C8 an C9 would adjust the frequency of those bands.

There is a bass cut pre-clipping (like most opamp dirt pedals) that depends on the pres knob. Increase C4 to get more bass there.

You could always populate the PCB and put sockets for those caps and experiment that way.

I have a Deep Fryer so I already have a bass friendly version just trying to incorporate the additional Small Fry controls like presence, treble, and middle. There is no schematic of the Deep Fryer yet but it is close to the Small Fry.

Yeah it looks like it adjusts those frequencies I am at a loss as to what to look up to understand that bit better. I probably end up plugging and playing. I was wondering if their was a calculation to figure out the frequencies each control alters.

Tone control is passive low pass like the link above, R is adjusted by the tone knob.

Shape and presence are high pass filters (oddly enough the formula for the cutoff freq is exactly the same as the low pass). Again, the trimmer position changes the R, and thus the freq. In this position the R also affects the gain. I forgot in my other post, C3 could be experimented with too (increase for more bass).

I recommended it somewhere else, but the electro smash articles are really helpful, like the Tubescreamer or rat. It's a lot to digest, but mainly focus on the gain and tone stages.

Yeah I like their articles, I am DOD 250/Disto+ a RAT circuit for shits n giggles after reading about both the Dist + and Rat circuits. It won't do anything fancy but it should be cute.

Back