Solder question

fractal33

I finally ran out of my good ole roll of solder I got in July and replaced it with a different brand with the same specs. 60/40 SN/PB, 0.8mm, 2% flux. Nothing else has changed and I have a high-quality iron. For some reason, all my joints are dulling like they are cold with this different brand of solder. What is going on here?

I finally ran out of my good ole roll of solder I got in July and replaced it with a different brand with the same specs. 60/40 SN/PB, 0.8mm, 2% flux. Nothing else has changed and I have a high-quality iron. For some reason, all my joints are dulling like they are cold with this different brand of solder. What is going on here?

How's your tip?

Yeah, I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago. Switched brands, same specs, and the joints would cool off looking dull. Tried lowering the temp, being sure to be optimal, etc, but to no avail. I just bought back the stuff I'm used to, and bingo, super shiny joints. So the culprit was definitely the solder. I know the joints are fine, they don't look like cold joints, just a bit dull. It was a really small spool, so I'm keeping it for my Vero builds, wetting the tip, etc.

How's your tip?
It was fine but I’m pretty sure this new solder ruined it. It is turning blue now and doesn’t seem to want to tin easily. Tried a new tip and the same thing happened. Turned blue! I’m very confused but have new tips and my old brand back on the way. The solder doesn’t seem to tin the tip very well either and before it started turning blue it didn’t flow very well. Im wondering if this roll might be lead free and incorrectly labeled.

Reactions: fig
Out of curiosity (and for future avoidance) what brand of solder is giving you issues?

I've been very happy using MG Chemicals brand solder--good price, and works well. Kester is great, but more expensive, and I get the same results from MG. I've been using 63/37 fwiw.

Out of curiosity (and for future avoidance) what brand of solder is giving you issues?

I've been very happy using MG Chemicals brand solder--good price, and works well. Kester is great, but more expensive, and I get the same results from MG. I've been using 63/37 fwiw.
Some random stuff I got on amazon in a pinch called Hebraeos. I guess that's what I get for buying cheapo solder on amazon. However, the last spool was from amazon too and the brand was Austor. Loved it, never had a problem.

Funny I just posted a build I did recently with a solder roll from Amazon (deep down I knew I shouldn’t have) and I’ve had nothing but problems with it just like you. Glad to hear there’s as good as Kester but cheaper out there. I bought a 1 lb. roll of Kester about 2 years ago for a killer $17 I shoulda grabbed more anyways lesson learned
these any good?

Last edited:
@spi +1 for MG Chemicals stuff. I use their solder and flux pens and have been really happy with them. Right now I’ve got their rosin core 63/37, fantastic stuff and e u t e c t i c :cool:
I just grabbed some MG solder and tip tinner today at Microcenter, which is apparently at the only place in the area that sells solder still that isn't garbage or lead-free. Honestly forgot that place existed, idk if anyone else lives near one, but the one closest to me always felt dirty and is in a constant state of total disarray. They had a decent selection of soldering supplies to my surprise, but it looked like someone literally thew the stuff at the shelf and I had to sift through to find what I need. Anyway, joints are shiny again and I think I sort of saved my old tip with the tip tinner. Never again will I roll the dice with solder.

I just grabbed some MG solder and tip tinner today at Microcenter, which is apparently at the only place in the area that sells solder still that isn't garbage or lead-free. Honestly forgot that place existed, idk if anyone else lives near one, but the one closest to me always felt dirty and is in a constant state of total disarray. They had a decent selection of soldering supplies to my surprise, but it looked like someone literally thew the stuff at the shelf and I had to sift through to find what I need. Anyway, joints are shiny again and I think I sort of saved my old tip with the tip tinner. Never again will I roll the dice with solder.
I used to get mine at Fry's, but they've closed their stores here

Never heard them but I’ll look em up You just reminded of a place out in the valley same way I mean you actually are going through boxes that obviously been there A LOOONG time water stains and dust but the guy was cool as hell always teaching a little something and had time to answer my lame questions I gotta see if he’s still there A bit pricey but had practically anything I could ever need can’t remember the name only how to get there. Wow hey thanks for the memory jog haven’t thought about him since I moved like an hour away cool. You see any difference between 60/40 and what 63/37 I think? I’ve tried both and saw none maybe the fumes are less toxic

Never heard them but I’ll look em up You just reminded of a place out in the valley same way I mean you actually are going through boxes that obviously been there A LOOONG time water stains and dust but the guy was cool as hell always teaching a little something and had time to answer my lame questions I gotta see if he’s still there A bit pricey but had practically anything I could ever need can’t remember the name only how to get there. Wow hey thanks for the memory jog haven’t thought about him since I moved like an hour away cool. You see any difference between 60/40 and what 63/37 I think? I’ve tried both and saw none maybe the fumes are less toxic
Haha this place isn't as bad as that! I was exaggerating a bit for sure, but anyway I'm just glad they are there. I got 60/40 again and it is something I never, but probably should have looked into. I guess 63/37 solidifies quicker from what I just read.

Haha this place isn't as bad as that! I was exaggerating a bit for sure, but anyway I'm just glad they are there. I got 60/40 again and it is something I never, but probably should have looked into. I guess 63/37 solidifies quicker from what I just read.
I’m sitting thinking about that place reminds me like my 20th time being there and I’m bent down going thru a box and the bell jingles that someone’s come in I just kinda peek up and it’s 2 dudes got there gun on the owner demanding the money I mean of all places to rob honesty don’t know how he stayed in business so long anyways I just remember him grabbing his bat a swinging for the fences chased them outta his store yelling at me in Korean when he walked back in but my purchase that day was free guess cause he didn’t get robbed win win

Back