Solderless Cable Any Advice Help!

Zylent

I brought a solderless kit for a controller i have, i need to do Straight/90º cables. But so far has been imposible to get sound from this cables. Anyone has experiencie how to make de ensamble?

I have 2 type one is like a Hole in the middel? The other KGR its like a Needle in the middle WTF XD... Maybe the conectors are not compatible one with another?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.21 (4).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.21 (4).jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 11
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.21 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.21 (3).jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 9
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.21 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.21 (2).jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 9
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.21 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.21 (1).jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 9
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.21.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.21.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.20.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 19.10.20.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
From what I remember(its been a while). You just cut the instrument cable. Don’t strip anything. Roll the end with your thumb and finger to round it back out. Then firmly insert it into the jack, and tighten the set screw. Whatever brand you have maybe check youtube for a tutorial as theres a few different types out there. If you have a meter check tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve for continuity.

Yeah it took a while but i did it. The problem now its it suck a LOT OF TONE. i Mean Volumen and Treble... So i was thinking in sell the package...

My advice, buy soldered or solder your own! I used George L's in the past with good luck, but if you swap pedals around often they don't hold up

My advice, buy soldered or solder your own! I used George L's in the past with good luck, but if you swap pedals around often they don't hold up
YES! the problem my friend its i use a controller MUSICOMLAB, i need this mini plugs because the standard cable soldered doesent fit in the controller. So i dont know what the heck i gonna do XD

YES! the problem my friend its i use a controller MUSICOMLAB, i need this mini plugs because the standard cable soldered doesent fit in the controller. So i dont know what the heck i gonna do XD
Not familiar with those, good luck

Not super helpful, but I've never used solderless because I just don't trust it.

Soldering your own cables is super easy, the connection is solid, and you can make them any length you want. Can you post a photo of the jack this is for? There are tones of 1/4" connector options, I'm sure there's a soldered connection that would suit.

My experience with solderless:

They serve a specific purpose. Some solderless connectors can be extremely low profile...even more than pancake style plugs. These are great when putting together a pedalboard with tight space constraints.

It's certainly easier than soldering up a bunch of cables, too, depending on what connectors you go with. I can typically cut a piece of wire and get a pair of connectors on in under 5 minutes with just a set of cutters and a screwdriver. It can't be beat in terms of speed and ease of setup...and if we're all creative folks here, sometimes when the mood strikes you don't want to be bogged down in the technical details of rig setup.

But, they certainly are less reliable than soldered cables. They really need to be used only in places where cable movement can be kept to a minimum. But they DO work, as long as you match the connectors to the cable.

Personally, I cut em with mini shear-cut cable cutters: it makes for a cleaner cut with less deformation of the wire, and makes for easier termination.

It's like soldering copper pipe vs using pro-press fittings. Lots of guys will be skeptical of the "easier" or "lazy" pro-press...usually the same guys that had a bad experience with pro press because they don't properly prepare and deburr their joints anyways...but I digress.

There's nothing wrong with having multiple ways to tackle a problem. My guitars get mogami cable and amphenol plugs. My pedalboards are majority solderless.

TIP:
Whatever cables you use, your local bike shop has cable-cutters that won't deform the cables.
Though I like most Park brand tools, for cable-cutters I prefer Shimano's.

I've had GeorgeLs in a static situation (home-board rarely moved), so prefer soldered for gigging.

There's gotta be low-profile DIY soldered straight jacks for the Musicomlab and similar applications.

Bike shops do indeed carry cable cutters: I've got a pair of jaguars that work well.

Those are typically designed for cutting steel wire rope and the like. You can also find those types of tools at Home Depot in the same section as aviation snips...good tool to have on hand.

Personally, I save those for heavier duty applications. I prefer the ones marketed towards electricians...copper & plastic *only* shear cut mini cable cutters. Like these. download.jpeg
Bonus...they work well as strippers for #10-#8 gauge or for peeling the jacket off a coax/instrument cable.

Back
Top Bottom