Son of Ben - No Sound When Engaged

herliplex

Just finished a Son of Ben (Benson Preamp Clone) build and I'm not getting any sound when the effect is engaged.
  • Sound passes through the pedal when the effect is disengaged
  • No LED light when the effect is engaged
  • I get some slight crackling when adjusting the internal trimpots and the effect is engaged.
Just looking to see what I should be checking first. Thanks! Son of Ben - Back.jpg

Is that one of the dc power jacks that needs to be on the other lug because one is for battery only? Typing that sentence out, it sounds wrong to me, but I've had a similar issue in the past where I needed to use the other lug and swapping fixed it.

use your dmm to see if you are getting power to your PCB. as noted above, you may not have the power wire connected to the right terminal on your power jack.

Honestly its hard to tell what's going on in there. You used white wire for power signal and ground and black wires for the same things. Remove every thing from the enclosure and take more pictures, front and back of the PCB please. Make sure you carefully separate all the wired components so we can trace them. Also replace the resistor that @Dan0h pointed out! In the future its a good practice to color code the wires. A 3 color system works well, Red - power, Black - Ground and white - signal, a 4 color system is better where input and output has separate colors. This will make it easier for everyone to help out.

Back